Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new format - more questions

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kenneth Chan_2
Honored Contributor

new format - more questions

Is there any help on what attachments are allowed?

I've discovered .jpg and .pdf work but nothing else

In the LaserJet forum, I tried to attach a file containing PJL code but couldn't manage it.

Ken

12 REPLIES 12
Chris H
Honored Contributor

Re: new format - more questions

Ken

In the past, I had similar problems attaching various print files (typical extensions .PRN or .PCL) to another forum (Experts-Exchange).

A workaround was to disguise the files by renaming them with an additional .TXT extension (.TXT being one of the acceptable file types); so, for example:

testfile.PRN

would not attach, but

testfile.PRN.TXT would.

I haven't has time to 'play', so I've no idea if this workaround will work with this new HP forum.

Chris

Chris H
Honored Contributor

Quick test to attach a standard .TXT file:

Chris H
Honored Contributor

... which didn't work, so not even ordinary .TXT files will attach!

Chris H
Honored Contributor

Try another file with .JPG extension:

Chris H
Honored Contributor

... that last one attached!

It is a .PRN file (containing PJL commands) but attached with a double extension (.PRN.JPG).

If you 'save target as' you can save the file, then rename it to remove the extra extension.

Bit of a palaver though!

Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro
Solution

Kenneth & Chris - as this site is just coming on-line, we're still configuring a few of the specific capabilities, such as allowed file extensions for attachments.  I have passed along your requests for the .txt, .pcl, .prn, and .pjl formats - we're very likely going to be able to enable those soon; I'll update this thread as I have additional information.

I work for HPE.
Kenneth Chan_2
Honored Contributor

Chris,

Thanks for trying - I came to similar conclusions.

Kevin,

Could you also add .ps (postscript) files to the list?

regards

Ken

razzer
Honored Contributor

only thing i really have and always used  for attachments was XPS format ,but now it will not attach.

Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to everyone.

We have enabled the following extensions within the Business Support Forums category:

.txt

.xps

.ps

.pcl

.prn

I work for HPE.
Warren_Admin
Community Manager

The file format list seems stable now.

Thanks,
Warren_Admin
Hewlett Packard Enterprise Community Manager
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise
CMCII_color_sig.png

bettygoodbody
Occasional Visitor

i have a question. please, i have an hp photosmart 4600 and a while back the door fell off, but i put it back on, and the printer works each time. but i had a paper jam yesterday, those happen often and i pulled out the paper and stuck the door back on again. and it works from the glass, but the computer won't print with the printer it says door open no matter what i tried. to tape it, to turn it off , unplug , etc. help!
Chris H
Honored Contributor

.PRN extension appears to no longer be acceptable on forums; see http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-LaserJet/PML-question-for-the-HP-Pros/m-p/5339747 for comments.