5014 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: new style affecting business badly

Anir
Regular Visitor

new style affecting business badly

Hi,

I have been working on HPUX OS for the past 9.5 years now. I found out that the new migration of website in not user-friendly. I truelly understand the need to have contracts for patches downloading(as the development of these invove costs). However, I would also state that nobody downloads HPUX patches if they do not have HPUX OS. And as we all know that HPUX OS are only purchasable and do not come free or unlicensed. Thus I fail to understand why such a requirement.

The problem with the new website is immense,it should be made more simple and quick links leading to all relevant sites upgraded. Moreover google search should reflect these changes. Besides these, the most inconvenient thing is searching the forum for some quick reolutions. It was easier earlier, but very complicated now.

Business policies such as these are not very positive. The resultant outcome may be quite drastic to HP's market share. User-friendliness is the vital aspect of any after-sale service. I would request relevant persons in HP to look at this change with impact on business rather than ensuring that documentaries are not being distributed freely.

I feel the change made by HP was result of mis-use perhaps or undue knowledge gain in some cases. Though that may be the case, but the overall impact on business with existing customers and or new customers specially on enterprise domains such as HPUX  to gain market holding is not going to be worth this change.

7 REPLIES 7
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I found out that the new migration of website in not user-friendly.

That's the new HPSC?

>I truly understand the need to have contracts for patches downloading

The support contract requirement is nothing new, it was implemented last September on the ITRC.

twodogmike
Advisor

News to me. I've been pulling patches, drivers and software down for as long as I've been supporting HP's -15 years - and nothing happened in September. It has only been in the last month or two that this ridiculous new format has popped up that any trouble has begun.

Congratulations on  letting bean counters and ego involved web designers forget the customers.

twodogmike
TomSmith
Regular Advisor

Amen twodogmike,

It would very interesting to have the person or persons in charge of this migration answer some of the questions that have been posted here, not the community admins who are currently taking the brunt of negative feedback.

Some of my questions would be...

How did you manage to get this so wrong?

Didn't you recognize what made the old ITRC forum successful?

Whose idea was it to migrate before all of the old posts were moved and the old URL's were available? This scheduling move must have been more important than pleasing your customers.

Well that is a start.

-Tom

John O'Neill_6
Regular Advisor

Hi,

I also use HP UX and have a valid support contract, but what on earth happened to the patch analysis tool?! You'd download a script, run it and upload the XML file and I got a nice big listing of all the patches and dependancies and could download them to update/patch my HP UX boxes.

Does anyone know what happened to the HP UX patch utility?

I don't want to install some kind of weird patch management 'thing' onto my HP UX boxes, I just want to get the .depot files and swinstall my patches like i've been doing for a decade now...

-John

Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

John - two links that might help get you the information you're looking for (with the transition from ITRC to HP Support Center, some features do work differently now - but I can't speak to all of the different capabilities on the portal, rather I can try to point you in the direction of someone who can).

Specific information about the Patch feature is available here - http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PUBLIC_SPF_GLOBAL_HELP/#patch

Or you can log a ticket with HP Support Center (they should be able to answer specific questions not addressed in the help information) - http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/help/contactHP/questions

I work for HPE.
Stephan.
Honored Contributor

@John O'Neill_6 wrote:

Hi,

I also use HP UX and have a valid support contract, but what on earth happened to the patch analysis tool?! You'd download a script, run it and upload the XML file and I got a nice big listing of all the patches and dependancies and could download them to update/patch my HP UX boxes.

Does anyone know what happened to the HP UX patch utility?

I don't want to install some kind of weird patch management 'thing' onto my HP UX boxes, I just want to get the .depot files and swinstall my patches like i've been doing for a decade now...

-John

You are talking about the patch assesment, that is still available in the hpsc ...

http://hp.com/go/hpsc

Log In - make sure you have a valid contract linked to your profile. On the left side you see Patch Management - klick the link and you see in the middle "run a patch assement".

Nothing changed here to before - even the swainv is still the same outdated version as before, so my suggestion would be go to http://hp.com/go/swa - get the latest version and just copy the swainv script out of the depot to where ever you need it.

hth,

Stephan

Martins

Couldn't agree more ...

Talking about shooting yourself in the foot ...!!

With sad reagrds Martin Rønde Andersen

Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards MIRACLE A/S
Martin Rønde Andersen Database and OS, at your choice.