1748008 Members
4445 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: video tutorial?

Proliant VMS San Mgrs
Frequent Advisor

video tutorial?

It would be so helpful to have a video tutorial showing how to use the new ITRC forum for someone (like me) who was pretty comfortable with the old system, and is completely lost with the new system.

I've pretty much given up after wasting an hour this morning. This is also unforgivably slow, slower than molasses in January.

Thanks,

Carl Friedberg

Problems Solved
7 REPLIES 7
Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

Carl - thanks for the suggestion, I'll see what we can put together.

Are there any particular functions you were trying to access that I can try to assist with in the meantime?
I work for HPE.
Proliant VMS San Mgrs
Frequent Advisor

Kevin,

Sure, just watch over my shoulder as I try to do what I did 10 days ago and no longer do:

(1) I go to the OpenVMS ITRC conference, I use the "other" link, because I read every single post under VMS.

how do I do that now?

And where are the nice lists of topics, with the two dates (first post, most recent post) in one line, which makes it really easy to find topics you might want to browse?

(2) I go to SAN, and read recent posts on EVA topics. Where I do I find all of the ones I've already read, as opposed to the ones I haven't seen yet (that was shown by my browsers' "read" link color)?

(3) I go to Proliant servers, and keep an eye on the blades; and on the ML/DL topics.

This seems to be so hard to do now, that I've just given up.

Also, where is that nice "PREVIEW" feature so that I could preview the formatted reply, review it as it would actually look, and then go back and clean it up? Why on earth would you get rid of  that? Oh, I just found it, hidden really, really well on that grayed out tab next to Rich text. Why change the user interface just to change it? It was EASIER as a button next to the Post button. Why leave the Post button, and get rid of the Preview button? You could have surely kept it? Why change things needlessly? It's really hard on users like me.

It feels clumsy going back and forth between those two tabs.

That spell checker is HIDEOUS. First, it did not recognize Proliant, nor OpenVMS. Second, it is really hard to use; I can not see the text where the correction / suggestion is located. USELESS.

That's what I mean.

A simple tutorial which would address that, after you've watched users like me who have been active for a year on the old ITRC screaming in pain...

I have no reason to go to this new site.lt is unusable for me. I don't know where to start.

Thank you. I'm sure you and your team have put in a huge amount of work, but did you spend any time with (non-HP) users of the old site to see how they actually used it, and what they liked, and did not like? There seems to be a total disconnect between the old site and this new one. It's painful, really. Isn't that what "virtual room" is supposed to be used for?

And could you explain what was wrong with ITRC after all of these years? (as a URL component at the least)

Carl

Problems Solved
Stephan_
Regular Advisor

Hi,

at least for some of your questions I can help.

1) If you are in the OpenVMS Category (http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/OpenVMS/ct-p/itrc-288) scroll down to the bottom and use the 'View all' Link (http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/category-id/itrc-288/post-type/thread)

This gives the other view from the old forums.

2) In the Category View you have on the right side a link called "Mark all Posts in Category as Read" to get a starting point, after that new posts are a little bit bold and you see on the right side the column 'new'

3) You can choose on board level to make a board float on top - then you have it at the top of the start page

hth

Stephan

How to assign points on this new forums --> Kudos - what, where, how, and why!
How to find the right forum --> New forum location by ITRC tree

"we wouldn't call it code, if we could read it ..."
Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

To see a list of all topics within a single category that has multiple boards, such as OpenVMS, click the "View All" link under the "Recent Topics" portion of the page (below the listing of boards).  In the case of OpenVMS, the url would be http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/category-id/itrc-288/post-type/thread

And from that page, you should be able to see which threads you've read vs. the ones you haven't - via the icons to the left of the thread titles (blue for a thread you've read, grey for one you haven't, and red for a "hot" thread that's getting a lot of posts).  Those same icons will show in a board view as well.

Sorry you're not finding the "preview" function useful - the old ITRC preview was very problematic, as if you went back to the page where you had authored the post, it was often deleted and had to be re-entered (unless you had known about this issue and did a copy/paste).

We feel strongly that the new community offers a lot of functionality the old ITRC forums didn't/couldn't.  I appreciate the fact that things are "different" - but as with any change, it will take some education about what the differences are.

I'll close with a promise that we're listening to everyone's input and feedback - and while I can't go into too many details, we do have a significant update coming to the site later this year - we had to complete the ITRC forums migration first because of the ITRC -> HP Support Center migration timing, so some of the UI pieces got put on hold.  But we're not planning on "standing pat" and never making any improvements/updates.

I work for HPE.
Proliant VMS San Mgrs
Frequent Advisor

Now you really have me worried. I have yet to read a single new post on a technical topic since you froze ITRC whenever that was (the ice age, I suppose). I'm not sure how much change I want to put up with, to give advice for others. You might recall how horrible the HP support service (for which companies pay a LOT of mone) has been over hte last 4 years. This was a nice, refreshing change from that environment. I'm sorry to see it go; it's clearly gone as far as I can tell.

Problems Solved
Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

@Proliant VMS San Mgrs wrote:

Now you really have me worried. I have yet to read a single new post on a technical topic since you froze ITRC whenever that was

I'm not sure I follow - just looking at the page we were talking about earlier (http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/category-id/itrc-288/post-type/thread), I see a lot of new topics from the last couple of days.

The ITRC forums were "frozen" on Monday, June 20th, and re-opened here on Friday, June 24th.

I work for HPE.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>the old ITRC preview was very problematic, as if you went back to the page where you had authored the post, it was often deleted and had to be re-entered (unless you had known about this issue and did a copy/paste).

I had no problems in firefox using Back.  Now I lost everything the first time I tried.
Also, I'm use to firefox's spell checker as I type and now I have a lemon checker.  :-(

Just now I'm getting a bogus:
Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body.
I don't see anything wrong, just post it!