4211 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

001c023y not found

rony_8
Occasional Advisor

001c023y not found

Dear All,

when the D class server boots and after reaching the root before loging in,a strange message is noticed : "001c023y not found", so i need to know what does it mean?

P.S:the system is properly working and there
is no problem due to this message

i appreciate your help
thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Re: 001c023y not found

Suggestion: Check /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log for further related messages.

dmesg

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
rony_8
Occasional Advisor

Dear Steven,

i forgot to tell you that i have already checked all Logs : dmesg,syslog.log,rc.log...
i also checked '.profile' but i did not find any something related to this message

anyway thanks for your participation
Stephen Keane
Honored Contributor

Try

# find /sbin/init.d -type f -exec grep -l "001c023y" {} \;

Might find it?

Fabio Ettore
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the only one time that I saw that message was about a D-class due to a parity error. A my colleague worked on that problem and it seems that an hw call by HP was opened.

I would suggest the same even if there are not evident problems on disks.

Best regards,
Fabio
WISH? IMPROVEMENT!
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

I can tell you exactly what it is. This is an automatic response from your HP terminal (or HP terminal emulator) specifying the current cursor position as column 1 and line 23. My guess is that you are using the Reflection terminal emulator on your PC with default settings, or it could also be seen on a 'real' HP terminal, perhaps the console. The settings that can cause this are the defaults which are designed for the HP 3000 running MPE and the profile defaults for stty on telnet connections.

The response came from the terminal when ttytype (or possibly tset) was run in your login profile (/etc/profile and .profile for standard shells). To verify this, you can run ttytype manually:

ttytype -s

It can be intermittant because it is a handshaking issue. The reason is says "not found" is that it was sent out of sequence and instead of being read by the ttytype program, it was sent to the shell as if you typed it on the keyboard--the shell tries to run the program called 001c023y. Start by fixing /etc/profile to setup IXOFF (and for good measure, CS8). Change the stty line in /etc/profile:

stty ixoff cs8

Then in the terminal emulation setup, turn off: ENQ/ACK and HostPrompt, and turn on: InhibitHandshake and InhibitDC2.

You can ignore the message as it is just a string that was missed by the terminal ID program due to handshaking, but I would get the handshake right as there can be other problems later on.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Excellent Bill! I knew that string looked familiar but I just couldn't put my finger on it.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

It's a terminal setup problem, we get these quite regular here :)

are You using a standard (old, brown) hpterm oder a newer (white) one?

either modify Your /etc/profile to chose vt100, or hit alt+scroll_lock to enter the terminal setup to switch it to HPTerm mode.

This should work out, at least if it's the same thing is it get asked most of the time.

The good part is that You can also raised the number of lines and columns there!
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

It is really important to understand the difference between a real terminal (green-screen, so-called dumb terminal), hpterm/xterm/dtterm, and local terminal emulators such as Hyperterminal and Reflection for HP.

An HP terminal is typically a green, white or orange screen, series 700/9x or possibly an older HP2392A and is usually run in HP mode.

When you use hpterm (or xterm, etc), there is no such program on a PC. The PC is simply running code that interprets Xwindow graphics codes sent to it. The actual program is running on the server (HP-UX).

For local terminal emulators, there is no Xwindow code at all and the local program initiates a telnet session from the local emulator.

Each of the above scenarios are very different and need to handled differently. First: setting TERM=vt100 in /etc/profile or .profile will cause endless sysadmin problems. The only way to avoid problems when you hardcode the TERM value is to find every PC in your company and erase any program that performs a telnet connection, and install a terminal program which cannot be configured for any emulation except vt100. This also means that contractors, HP support, etc, must go through an inspection or training session before they are allowed to hook up to your network and connect to your HP-UX systems.

So, unless you can control the terminal or emulator used for every connection, remove TERM= statements and replace them with auto-ID using the ttytype program. To see how it works:

ttytype -s

which produces shell-compatible code to set TERM, LINES and COLUMNS based on the terminal being used. Replace any TERM-vt100 or similar code with:

eval $(ttytype -s)

This is especially important with the default /etc/profile which skips this step if TERM has been set prior to running /etc/profile. It turns out that telnetd supports telnet subcodes that pass the window size and value of TERM from the client. While the window size (called NAWS or Negotiate About Window Size) is quite useful in that it is dynamic, the TERM value is useless because the client will often set a value that is totally useless. For example, a grpahics-based Linux box sets TERM=linux and passes this to the host.

The value of TERM *must* match the actual emulator used, *and* must have a valid entry in the terminfo database. To see if the TERM value has an entry, use untic as in:

untic $TERM

If there is no entry, then the TERM value is unuseable for tools like vi, sam, swinstall, cstm, mstm, etc. So with all these complications and major sysadmin headaches, always use the eval $(ttytype -s) entry in all profiles. Note that ttytype is smart enough to provide the proper codes for csh as your login shell so add:

eval ttytype -s

to your /etc/csh.login profile.

One obscure caveat: The new machines (machines with a GSP handling the console) have a "trash ttytype" feature. The GSP has a setting in the CA command that allows you to set HPTERM or VT100. Since the GSP has no terminal sensitive codes at all (no fancy menus, 100% command line oriented), the wisdom about this setting is dubious. But the GSP codewriters asked the ttytype and tset codewriters to change their code just for the console. No matter what terminal emulator you are using, ttytype and tset totally ignore your terminal and force TERM to be equal to the GSP setting. There is no choice in this case but to hardcode the correct emulator for TERM, but only if it is a console connection.

Many new HP-UX users (including the GSP codewriters) are unfamiliar with HP smart terminals such as the 700/9x, hpterm and Reflection for HP. However, once you use an HP terminal with tools like vi, Glance, sam, and SD tools such as swinstall, you won't want to go back. The fully labeled (and functional) softkeys make navigation in sam, swinstall and glance very easy.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin