Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12/24 DAT on RedHat 9.0 in a PL 3000

David Lochhead
Frequent Advisor

12/24 DAT on RedHat 9.0 in a PL 3000

The drive is recognized as an HP C1537A . I keep getting a "no tape" message when I try to mount the tape. The device in hardware browser is mark as "/dev/st" . The tape works fine in Win 2000 ADV serv. Any ideas ??

Thanks
4 REPLIES
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Re: 12/24 DAT on RedHat 9.0 in a PL 3000

Ok. First, what do you mean "mount the tape" ?

If it means you are attempting to use a 'mount /dev/st0 /mnt' sort of command, then you cannot do this. Tapes cannot be mounted in this fashion.

What does '/proc/scsi/scsi' have listed in it?

What result do you get when you issue 'tape -f /dev/nst0 status' ?

Are you trying to read data from the tape, or write to it?

What commands have you tried?
One long-haired git at your service...
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

err, make that command 'mt -f /dev/nst0 status'...

damn switching unicies continually *mumble*
One long-haired git at your service...
David Lochhead
Frequent Advisor

Hi ,

I am using Kdat .

So far # mt -f /dev/st0 status
SCSI 2 Tape Drive
File Number=0 Block Number=0 Partition=0
Tape Block size 512 bytes Density code 0x25 (DDS-3)
Soft erro count since last status = 0
General status bits on (41010000) :
BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

I want to make a backup of the RH 8.0 install. This is to avoid the obscene downloading required as RH seems to think everyone has 4 hours to download and install updates .

Any help would be appreciated , this was originally to answer a customer's question on how to install RH 8.0 on a PL3000 (I work in Nepean) and I figured since I've already done the work I might as well fiqure out how to use it too :) SupPaq 6.4 is installed but my RILOE now says "access denied" when I try to log in through Mozilla

David Lochhead
Frequent Advisor

My Stupid , I got to the KDAT manual where it says a second "format" is required. I then "formatted" and it is now seen . Thanks a bunch for pointing me in the right direction