1751950 Members
4786 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

32bit HP-UX for Itanium?

Trojan36
Frequent Advisor

32bit HP-UX for Itanium?

Is there a 32 bit HP-UX environment on Itanium (native, not via ARIES)?

thx in advance
12 REPLIES 12
Nido
Trusted Contributor

Re: 32bit HP-UX for Itanium?

No,
Itanium (ia64) can only run 64bit OS which is 11.23/11.31.

Check this link:
http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA0-7504ENW.pdf

hth
" Let Villagers Be Happy!! "
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

ARIES allows 32-bit and 64-bit PA-RISC code to run on the Itanium architecture.

If you are concerned about performance penalties running PA-RISC code under Aries, recompile it for the Itanium platform if you can.

Regards!

...JRF...
Trojan36
Frequent Advisor

Sorry, let me rephrase the question.

I understand it can only run a 64 bit OS but can you run a 32 bit application under Itanium under that 64 bit OS (in native mode and not under ARIES)? For instance, under HP-UX PA-RISC, the OS is 64 bit but you can run either a 64 bit application or a 32 bit application under that OS with no problems.

thx in advance
Don Morris_1
Honored Contributor

Yes, of course. HP-UX on both PA and Itanium supports running 32-bit and 64-bit binaries. Most of the commands are still 32-bit, in fact.
Trojan36
Frequent Advisor

Hi Don,

So your don't need any emulator to run the 32bit apps? Is this documented somewhere?

I have read that Intel removed the hardware base 32bit capability from the Itanium chip, starting with Montecito.

http://www.channelinsider.com/c/a/Intel/Intel-Drops-HardwareBased-32Bit-Capabilties-in-Itanium/

thx
Nido
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Aries comes free on all Itanium machine.
As said in the above thread, the time you invoke the 32/64bit PA programs, IPF Kernel recognizes a PA-RISC HP-UX executable and invokes Aries to emulate the application.

Check the man page (5) aries for details.

Cheers!!
" Let Villagers Be Happy!! "
Trojan36
Frequent Advisor

Hi Nido,

As I mention in my earlier post, I asked if the 32bit apps can run native and not via ARIES.

So my conclusion is that Itanium cannot run 32bit application natively and must use the ARIES emulator. Is this correct?

Thx
Don Morris_1
Honored Contributor

You're thinking of the 32-bit x86 emulation on the first Itanium chips.

No, HP-UX doesn't run x86 binaries (on Itanium or anything else). But there are 32-bit *Itanium* binaries. HP-UX will run those just fine, just like 32-bit PA binaries are generated and run on PA. (In fact, the default compilation mode is DD32 (32-bit) on both, if I recall correctly).
Trojan36
Frequent Advisor

Thx Don,

This now makes sense. I guess the worst case is that the apps needs to be recompiled on the Itanium server.