1752579 Members
3903 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 32bit HP-UX for Itanium?

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

If the app is a 32-bit Itanium binary, then it should run fine without invoking the ARIES emulated.

If the app is a 32-bit PA-RISC binary, then it will run via the ARIES emulator.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

While the _kernel_ is always 64-bit on an HP Integrity (Itanium based) system, there is support in HP-UX for native, 32-bit IA64 (Itanium) binaries in addition to 64-bit IA64 binaries.

In fact, the default compilation mode in the HP-UX compilers remains 32-bit (eg +DD32). To compile for 64-bit requires an explicit act on the part of the programmer to include +DD64.

There might be some confusion stemming from neither Linux, nor IIRC Windows on Integrity providing a native 32-bit Itanium runtime environment. I'm not familiar with OpenVMS to know if it offers native 32-bit or not.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>So you don't need any emulator to run the 32bit apps? Is this documented somewhere?

Right. Why would you need to document something that is mandatory/required and obvious if you can from PA? :-)

>rick: While the _kernel_ is always 64-bit on an HP Integrity system

The kernel must be 64 bit because at the hardware level, it is only 64 bit. It is only due to software magic in the compilers and OS, do 32 bit applications work at all.

>I'm not familiar with OpenVMS

(I don't remember. But NonStop is probably still 32 bit.)