Re: 3rd party software

SOLVED
Go to solution
Youlette Etienne_2
Regular Advisor

3rd party software

Hello everyone,

10 points for all who respond!

We are currently evaluting 3rd party HPUX compatible software for a few system administration tasks. So, I figured I would be able to get alot of good evaluation info from other system admins. Here's a list of sys admin areas I am researching software for:

Performance tools (excluding glance and Lund performance metaview)

A backup and restore software that would allow me to run concurrent backups to multiple direct attached DLT drives. I use fbackup, but this will only allow one backup at a time. Not looking for an enterprise solution, we will implementing Backup express sometime in the future. Just looking for local host software.

Security tools- has anyone used Powerbroker? HIDS is consuming too much cpu, still working with HP on this one (please no solutions to this--I've already tried them all).

and finally, Version control.

If possible, do let me know before Friday. I will be on vacation for a couple of weeks starting Friday and would not want to have anyone waiting for points.
If at first you don't succeed, change the rules!
7 REPLIES 7
Marvin Strong
Honored Contributor
Solution

Not sure what you features you want your version control to have. I use RCS, its built in and super easy to use.

CVS is also decent.

But it all depends on what your requirements are.
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Youlette,

1) Perf => we find with glance/gpm, ps, sar, vmstat, Measurware/PerfView, etc we can get almost everything we need from an OS viewpoint. The Perf team is evaluating TeamQuest, but I don't know if they're going to buy it.

2) Backup => Veritas NetBackup

3) Security -> HP IDS, Symantec ESM, PowerBroker (under eval now), Control-SA, CyberCop, SecureScan

4) Version Control - CM Synergy from TeleLogic or PVCS from Merant

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Chris Vail
Honored Contributor

For performance tools, Glance is my favorite. But I'm really comfortable with sar, vmstat, netstat and the usual text-based tools. Most 3rd party products use the same libraries anyway, so you end up with the same data, just with prettier pictures.
Backup and restore: Veritas Netbackup, with Legato a close second. Both offer 90 day evaluation licenses, so there's little downside to trying them out.
Security tools: secure shell, tripwire, Bastille, and a good book on security.
Version control: CVS. The price is great: free, and its as good as any out there. I've also heard good things about Visual Source Safe.

Chris
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

Performance tools: Spotlight by Questsoftware; Statspack by Oracle
Version Control: CVS

About Backup, not sure if OMNIback gives this possibility.

regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Youlette Etienne_2
Regular Advisor

Thanks for your responses. It will be very useful.

The list can continue if you come across any others
If at first you don't succeed, change the rules!
Hazem Mahmoud_3
Respected Contributor

Performance Tools: Glance, Lund, and native HP-UX tools like top/vmstat/etc.

Backup: Veritas (although we use the enterprise version to backup all our other servers as well)

Security: We currently use Powerbroker. We haven't used it to it's full extent yet, but we are working on fully utilizing it soon.

Hope it helps!

-Hazem
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

To add to the others good replies,

For backup and restore tasks we use HP OpenView Omniback II (4.1). and Data Protector 5.1

We run concurrent backups, on DLT tapes and LTO tapes. The backups are very efficient and we and very simple to restore as well.

We have HP storage works LSL5000 series library (Ultrium-LTO) Dual tape drives attached to our L1500-7x class servers and DLT7000 Dual tape drives attached to K-360 class servers. And all the backups (on-line / cold) backups run smoothly. We can restore very quickly and had tested our DR process (backup / restore) a number of times.

Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying