108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

64 bit kernel

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robin Rehberg
Occasional Contributor

64 bit kernel

I would like to have a 64bit kernel using HP-UX 11.0 on a K100 server. I have used SAM to load the predefined 64bit kernel but no matter what I do, when I running the command "getconf KERNEL_BITS" the answer is 32. Any ideas would be welcome.
4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: 64 bit kernel

I think the K100 will only run 32-bit OS. The /etc/.supported_bits file on my11.0 machine doesn't even list the K100, so that is not a good sign.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

OK, here is some more information for you. I was right, the K100 only supports the 32 bit version of the OS, it does NOT support the 64 bit version.

Look here for more information: http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/5971-0642/5971-0642.html
and look in the 'Preparing for Software Migration' and in that section look at the 'System Requirements' section. There is a table there listing what systems support which OS bits.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Robin:

Patrick's correct. As I recall, the K100 was the first K-class and its the old PA7200 PA-RISC which doesn't support 64-bitness.

BTW:

# getconf KERNEL_BITS

Examines the currently running kernal and will return "32" or "64".

To find which kernel is supported by the hardware, regardless of what the kernel is running use:

# getconf HW_CPU_SUPP_BITS

This will return "32", "32/64" or "64".

...JRF...
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Hi,

The K class server ( in your case K 100 )is a 32-bits architecture ( ie. addressing and assembler instructions are 32 bits ) and can have HP-UX 11 running on it but hp-ux 32-bits executables.

Starting from the L Class server 64-bits architecture ( ie. addressing and assembler instructions are 64-bits )comes in and can run either 32 and 64-bits executables.

So, in your case, it's a hardware limitation and you can't install HP-UX 64-bits OS.
Bye