1748019 Members
4643 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

8665c and Windows XP

Benjamin Grayson

8665c and Windows XP

I am posting this because i am thinking about putting windows XP on my computer, and I want to know if there are usually problems that occur by doing this. I tried putting windows 2000 on my computer 4 times and trying to fix the sound card problem to no avail. i don't want to waste my time by installing and uninstalling windows onto my machine again, so i would like some feedback regarding windows xp on 8665c. thank you to any of you who might make any suggestions to me.
1 REPLY 1
Carmelo Grecia
Frequent Advisor

Re: 8665c and Windows XP

Hewlett Packard does not recommend upgrading this Pavilion Desktop computer to Windows XP. Although this system may meet Microsoft (R) minimum system requirements for the upgrade, some product features and software may not be compatible with Windows XP.
The following guidelines are provided to HP customers considering whether to upgrade an existing HP Pavilion Desktop PC to Windows XP. The purpose of this document is to help minimize frustration and surprises if the decision is made to upgrade to Windows XP.

NOTE: The information in this document does not apply to HP Pavilion Desktop PCs that came factory-installed with the Windows Me operating system because they are supported for upgrade to Windows XP.

Anyone considering this upgrade should do so carefully. Although many HP Pavilion Desktop PCs may meet the minimum requirements recommended by Microsoft for upgrade to Windows XP, upgrading is not recommended for all PCs, especially where the base platform has not been tested and qualified by HP for use with Windows XP.

Microsoft's minimum requirements
PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233-MHz minimum required; Intel (R) Pentium (R) / Celeron (TM) family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space
Super VGA (800??600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor
CD-ROM or DVD drive
Keyboard and Microsoft mouse or compatible pointing device
Factors to consider prior to making an upgrade decision
HP is unable to guarantee how Windows XP will function on a PC not originally designed and/or tested for this new operating system. HP Pavilion Desktop PCs that shipped with Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows 98SE pre-installed, were not tested with Windows XP.
HP could not recommend upgrading where it could not guarantee a high level of compatibility for all basic hardware and software components of the PCs. PC device drivers (including graphics, BIOS, chipset, etc) for some PC components may simply not be available (now or in the future) as some parts manufacturers are no longer in business or have made business decisions to not provide updates for Windows XP.
The addition (by the PC owner) of a wide variety of third-party software and peripherals to the system may complicate a Windows XP upgrade.
Software pre-installed on the PC at purchase may require upgrades to the new XP-compatible version, if available, and at an additional cost. Contact the software company directly.
HP's warranty and support cover only the original pre-installed operating system and software. Technical support for the "off the shelf" or "retail" version of Windows XP will be provided by Microsoft.
Additional information
The following links will provide additional resource information on Windows XP:

Access Microsoft's Web site on upgrading to Windows XP.
Go to Microsoft's Windows XP Upgrade Advisor Web site.
Visit the Northern Light Web site
NOTE: One or more of the links above will take you outside the Hewlett-Packard Web site. HP does not control and is not responsible for information outside of the HP Web site.

Microsoft (R) is a U.S. registered trademark of
Microsoft Corp.

Windows (R) and MS Windows (R) are U. S.
registered trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Copyright Hewlett-Packard Co. 2001
This information is subject to change without notice and
is provided "as is" with no warranty.
Hewlett-Packard shall not be liable for any direct,
indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages
in connection with the use of this material.

4 Sale http://www.certifiedunixadmin.com