1748215 Members
3434 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ACPI on RedHat 7.3 kernel 2.4.20

Ignacio Aracena
Occasional Contributor

ACPI on RedHat 7.3 kernel 2.4.20

I have RedHat 7.3 with kernel 2.4.20 installed on my pavilion ze5430ea. Is there a patch which works for this kernel version?
5 REPLIES 5
Ragu_1
Regular Advisor

You should ask your laptop/pc vendor if any patch is required, usually this info is available at their website. The generic kernel should be re-compiled but as things stand now the kernel ACPI code does not fully support the OSPM specs. You may find this link http://sf.net/projects/acpi useful. YMMV.
Share and share alike
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

I've used ACPI (for a long time now) on a ze4100 and a ze4325, so you should not encounter ACPI related hardware problems on a ze5430. The question then is whether you can successfully patch a RedHat kernel. In general, most people patch vanilla kernals when they want ACPI. On the other hand, the ACPI patches aren't terribly complex, so my guess is it will work OK on the RedHat kernel source. I susggest you get the 2.4.20 patch, back up your RedHat kernel source, and try it. You should be able to tell from the output of the patch step if it is going to work or not.

Bruce
Manuel Wolfshant
Trusted Contributor

I have patched a few months ago with ACPI the RH provided sources without much trouble. A few minor hand editing was necessary but nothing spectacular.

Ignacio Aracena
Occasional Contributor

Hi Manuel,

I have no experience in applying patches to the kernel. Can you give me a step-by-step guideline for this task?
root_6
Advisor

i should visite www.kernel.org
there r patches available and how-to apply the patch