108762 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: AGP 4x compatability

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dimitry ZAgarsky
Occasional Advisor

AGP 4x compatability

I an hoping to upgrade my video card in my pavilion 552w. According to the mother board specs the interface is a "AGP 4X". The video card I was hoping to get is a Radeon 9800PRO with a 4X/8X interface. I was wondering whether the "4X" is refering to cards that under the catagory of "2X/4X", "4x/8X" or both. And whether I can get this to run my computer at all. I was also wondering whether the voltage of the motherboard will affect the card. Thanks in advance for your help.

-PS This is the card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102361
9 REPLIES 9
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Dimitry,
I am not sure it wil work in your system, first of all the card is pretty large 218.5 x 100 x 34.5 mm So look carfully if it will fit.
Also the card needs external power, a powercord from the powersupply has to be connected to the videocard, you need atleast a 300W powersupply, but I recommend more for full performence of the card, but on the other hand I doubt it will get to full performence on a 4x AGP
Last, the PCI slot next to the AGP slot has to be free, the card can block airflow and the card and/or motherboard can overheat.

If you can get your hand on a Redeon 9600 it will be sufficient for your system to, but they can only be bought second hand to my knowlidge, it pretty old card.

To conclude, it the card fits and your powersupply is sufficient you can try it, but the card will not work on full performence.

Have a nice day,
HTH, Ronald

PS. Some HP machines do not like ATI cards very much, so be sure you can return the card.
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
Dimitry ZAgarsky
Occasional Advisor

Thank a lot, guess I will have to do a little more searching.
Dimitry ZAgarsky
Occasional Advisor

Also i was just wondering do you tell the size of the card, and if this is the 9600 you were talking about.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102345
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor

Hi Dimitry,
This 9600 card would also work and has some other features.
This was not the 9600 card I was talking about that is a pro or XT, they were cheaper then the 9800 series, but I can not find any in the stores here anymore, the 9800 cards were a lot chaaper then earlier, maybe not so much difference anymore.

What do you mean with the size question? how I know this?

Have a nice day,
Regards, Ronald
Dimitry ZAgarsky
Occasional Advisor

What I was referring to by the size of the card are its dimensions (in millimeters). And when I was checking my motherboard specs on hp.com I did notice any PCI slots that the card might block because there is only an "AGP 4X" slot (this is about a statement you made earlier). And just to make sure, you believe that the 9600 would work. If thats true do you think it would work better then that 9800, if that one works at all.

Again, thanks a lot for all your all help I really appreciate it.
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor

Hi dimitry,
Your welcome, I like to help people,

I do not know if the 9600 would work better, but earlier they were a lot cheaper. but nuw the standard 9600 Pro is not availebel anymore,

But the All in Wonder version is even faster the the standard version. (chip is not faster then the 9800, but on 4x I doubt it matters much)
Extra features the card has is the TV-tuner and FM-radio, you can even attach two monitors (no DVI) so i.e. you can watch TV on the first one and work on the second.

The dimensions of the AW are also a bit smaller, can not find exact dimensions but looking a pitures it doest not pass the AGP slot very much.

With the PCI slot, do you mean the slot next to the AGP slot is taken? if so move it to another slot if possibel.

Have a nice day,
HTH, Ronald
Dimitry ZAgarsky
Occasional Advisor

The PCI slot is not mentioned at all. The specs only talk about a AGP slot. And I dont believe it is talken because i have an intergrated card.
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor

HI Dimitry,
With the PCI slot I mean, that it has to be free, If you put a pci card next to your AGP card it has negative influence on the airflow and your card and motherboard and even the procesoor can heat up more.

Have a nice day,
Regards, Ronald
Dimitry ZAgarsky
Occasional Advisor

OK thatnks a lot you were very helpful.