Operating System - Microsoft
1748322 Members
4786 Online
108762 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

AMDAGP.SYS Complete System Lock On Boot!

Xorcist
Occasional Contributor

AMDAGP.SYS Complete System Lock On Boot!

Okay... here's some basic info:

Hewlett Packard 360n
AMD Athalon XP 1900MHz
Windows XP

Now here's the problem...

One day the machine refused to boot. Testing all methods of booting (none working) it was determined the system locks upon loading the file AMDAGP.SYS. With no alternative I attempted a non-destructive recovery via F10. This had no effect at "recovering the system" and the same problem persisted... so I then attempted a destructive recovery, with a full recovery of the hidden partion, using the 7 CD XP Home Edition recovery set I got from HP. Once again this did nothing!

So after a complete format, a rewrite of the recovery partition, and a complete re-installion/recovery of XP the system is still completely in accessable! What's the deal here! This machine is only 6 months old...

Anyone know how I can fix this problem? Newsgroups lead me to believe the XP installation CD could be used to fix this issue. However HP refuses to send me one and only offered the recovery CD set. What am I supposed to do! HELP!
7 REPLIES 7
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Re: AMDAGP.SYS Complete System Lock On Boot!

Xorcist,

There are a ton of posts with people on multiple platforms all with the same issue. Perform a google search on your AMDAGP.sys under groups
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=AMDAGP.SYS&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&start=10&sa=N

and you'll find 133 posts on this.. All of them seem to indicate attempting to boot into safe mode to verify hardware.

Here is one of the results.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=%23kct%23WMuBHA.1892%40tkmsftngp03&rnum=11&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DAMDAGP.SYS%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26start%3D10%26sa%3DN

or http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=9b3801c251aa%242d354070%2436ef2ecf%40tkmsftngxa12&rnum=23&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DAMDAGP.SYS%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26start%3D20%26sa%3DN

I don't think a different version of XP will resolve the issue from HP.. ?? There isn't much rhyme or reason with any of these posts.. I think you need to involve HP warranty support as well if you haven't already.

Good luck...

Greg
Lets Roll!
Xorcist
Occasional Contributor

The point wasn't to get a different version of XP. It was to get the OEM installation CD so I could use the repair features included to fix the PC. I know all about the hundreds of newsgroup posts on this particular problem. And most of them were all solved by using the XP installation CD to repair the file in question.

Anyways... looks like the PC is just going to be returned. I have already spent far too much time trying to fix the issue, and lost a good deal of data in the process. Good thing I had at least one backup (even if a bit old) of the more important files I was working on before the machine died.
Abson

Ok, would you believe it, I just had the SAME problem! I don't know how it happened, but it happened. When I boot the machine, it hangs, or appears to! Truth is, it actually hasn't fully hanged, it's working, just REALLY slowly. If you leave the PC alone for about 10 minutes it'll finally bring up the desktop, from there, it's even slower, 4 - 5 minutes the start menu will appear after clicked on. So how did I fix it? Firstly, I had no idea others were having the same issue, I just decided to look it up afterwards, lol. It is possible to access safe mode, and right now, it's your best friend. Go in to safe mode, go search and look for amdagp.sys. Once you find it, delete it. Reboot and the system won't hang. You'll have to reinstall your video card drivers (I have to at least) but your computer will be back to normal. Hope this helps. If your worried, back up the file to a floppy, you can always use safe mode and copy it back to /system32/drivers, good luck!

Mike.
CAvello

Solved a similar probelm w/pavilion 520c. Do this. First determine the BIOS version, it is outdated. Search HP for BIOS updates, and the self-extractor will create a BIOS update disk (you don't need a need a functional OS to update the BIOS). After the update, reset the BIOS settings by entering setup and pressing F5. Then the computer will boot just fine.

Enjoy ;-)
Sam Peterson

I have the same problem and I have a hp pavilion 520c but, I can't find my bios. I have phoenixbios and I can't find the update on hp or the mobo type. Are the bios updates on the hp site compatible with phoenix?

Thanks

Sam Peterson
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Jamie Osterman

It seems that computers freezing on amdagp.sys during bootup happens frequently since I have found this in multiple forums. When the computer reboots and appears to freeze, it will actually finish booting in 1-3 hours. (We did leave the computer sitting once for a long time and it did eventually reboot.) Rather than wait this time frame, I put a PCI video card in the computer and removed the agp card. The computer rebooted fine. I deleted amdagp.sys, turned off the computer, put the agp video card back in, and turned the computer back on. Problem solved.