108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ANSI C compiler on IA64 with HP-UX 11.23

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jay Cantwell
Regular Advisor

ANSI C compiler on IA64 with HP-UX 11.23

I am currently running C.05.05 version of C compiler and my oracle dba has noticed that it is 32 bit. She would like to up it to 64 bit. I do have a codeword for the C compiler on a RISC 11.23 machine that I am using for developement. Can I use this same codeword and upgrade what I have on the IA64 machine. If not, how do I get a 64 bit version for the IA64 machine...thanks...Jay
4 REPLIES 4
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: ANSI C compiler on IA64 with HP-UX 11.23

You can get the C compiler from http://www.software.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=B3899BA for about 1200 USD

You probaly can use the same code word, but to be legal you need to purchase it.

live free or die
harry d brown jr
Live Free or Die
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

I don't think the compiler needs to be 63bit in order to generate 64bit programs. Just use the compiler flag for 64bits, specifically: +DA2.0W Once you've compiled a program with +DA2.0W, use the file command:

file a.out
a.out: ELF-64 executable object file - PA-RISC 2.0 (LP64)

This indicates that the program is a 64bit executable. A 32bit program will be:

a.out: PA-RISC2.0 shared executable dynamically linked -not stripped

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Just a followup: 63bit should be 64bit in the above response (it's just 1bit...) and the C compiler indeed will generate 64bit programs even though it is a portable 32bit program (ie, PA-RISC 1.1)

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Since you are on IPF, that should be +DD64 to have the compiler produce 64-bit objects. +DA2.0W is the deprecated option for 64-bit on PA-RISC. You would use +DD64 on PA-RISC as well.

As mentioned, you do not need a specific 64-bit version of the ocmpiler. However, you do need the 64-bit development package. I suspect though that for IPF that is loaded by default.

FWIW, I think the compiler is up to .55 or higher now. Might want to make sure you are up on the latest compiler patches and such.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows