1752795 Members
6220 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: APM and/or ACPI for hp ze1210 notebook

Michael Brailsford
Occasional Advisor

APM and/or ACPI for hp ze1210 notebook

I am running gentoo linux 1.4 on my hp ze1210 notebook. So far I have not been able to get either APM or ACPI to function at all. I tried to look at my BIOS settings and it will not let me. I rebooted into windows and e-diagtools would not connect to the internet, even though all my other apps could. I have APM compiled into the kernel, and I have not compiled in SMP support (since smp and apm do not work together). What do I need to do to get a battery monitor up and running?
5 REPLIES 5
Michael Brailsford
Occasional Advisor

Problem solved. I compiled all acpi options (except acpi debug output) into the kernel, not modules. It finally works. I hope someone else may benefit from my epxerience.
Tim Lewis_2
Occasional Contributor

I am running RH 8.0 on the same machine and have the same problem. I have tried recompiling the kernel as you did but for some reason, can't get the new kernel to boot after it's installed. The message I get is
"VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:00 --->
Please append a correct root= boot option".

I would appreciate any suggestions. Also, what modem driver did you use for the ze1210. ?
Michael Brailsford
Occasional Advisor

Are you running grub or lilo? My guess is that with rh8.0 you are using lilo. I don't know lilo, so I can't help with any specifics, but you more than likely need to add a "root=/dev/hd" to the kernel command line. My grub kernel line contains "root=/dev/hda7" where hda7 is the partition on which I have my '/' filesystem.
James Wilson_5
Frequent Advisor

Michael, what kernel are you using?
Tim Lewis_3

I am running Mandrake 9.1 on the same machine. I just figured out how to get acpi running on mine, with help from Michaels notes. Maybe this will help you although it's not Mandrake you're using.

For some reason known only to God and the Mandrake Team, when you install Mandrake 9.0 or 9.1, the default kernel enables both APM and ACPI. Knowing that they don't work together, I had to recompile the kernel and disable APM in configx.

I also took Michaels advice and configured all of the ACPI options into the kernel as opposed to modules.

After compiling the new kernel and adding the entry to LILO, (again for some strange reason) the line in LILO that reads "ACPI=off" has to be changed to "ACPI=on".

Since I did this, the GNOME battery monitor works flawlessly and my battery time has doubled. Also I even discovered that the scroll mouse on the machine works with Mandrake 9.1 (I don't think it did with 9.0). Anyway, hope that at least gives you some ideas. Check your configx and make sure that only ACPI is enabled in the kernel.