3514 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: AT&T Ksh Timezone bug

Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

Stuart,

I've been recemtly in the same troubles for aliases. Someone on this forum gave me the solution of setting in your .profile the ENV variable to a script where you set your alias. For every ksh launched, this script will run.
You should also have a look at -x and -t options for alias.

Nicolas,

"| read" is not a limitation, it's a feature. There is no normalization on the subject and the POV of HP-ksh coders and other shells ones are different.

For HP, when you do "echo toto | read a", "read a" is executed by your curent shell and a new one is created for echo.

For bash, or other shells, current shell does echo and a subshell does read (so its variable can come back to his father).

But, if you do something like
#(a=pro ; ls) | grep $a
it won't work on HP and work on others...
--

"Reality is just a point of view." (P. K. D.)
Roberto Polli
Trusted Contributor

Maybe using 'ed' to modify multiple files can be the quicker solution...

Peace, R.

Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your suggestion, setting up the $ENV variable certainly does cause any interactively started ksh shells to have the same environment information, however this does not work with scripts with #!/bin/ksh at the top...

Any ideas?
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

It does work for me, but I use "alias -x"

Regards,

Fred

--

Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor

Hi Fred, that's really interesting as it doesn't for me :-(

Take a look at the tests I've run:

michaelw@abacus4: echo $ENV
/homes/michaelw/.kshrc
michaelw@abacus4: grep date $ENV
alias -x date="/bin/date"
michaelw@abacus4: type date
date is an exported alias for /bin/date
michaelw@abacus4: date
Thu Apr 29 13:56:32 BST 2004
michaelw@abacus4: ksh
$ date
Thu Apr 29 13:56:35 BST 2004
$ exit
michaelw@abacus4: cat test.sh
#!/bin/ksh
type date
date
michaelw@abacus4: test.sh
date is a shell builtin
Thu Apr 29 12:56:42 GMT 2004

Looking at the suggestions in this thread already, I've tried setting up a $ENV variable, I've also tried alias -x, these both work fine if I kick off as ksh, but if I stick it in a script with #!/bin/ksh it all goes wrong!

What version of ksh are you running? Does your ksh default to having a builtin date? If not this could answer why it works for you and not me!
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

Have a look at the following :

/home/me> echo $ENV
/migration_hp/users/ga01400/test
/home/me> grep date $ENV
alias -x date="/bin/date"
/home/me> type date
date est un alias export├Г┬й pour/bin/date
/home/me> date
Jeudi 29 avril 2004 16:39:10
/home/me> ksh
/home/me> date
Jeudi 29 avril 2004 16:39:24
/home/me> type date
/home/me> cat > test.sh
#!/bin/ksh
type date
date
/home/me> chmod +x test.sh
/home/me> ./test.sh
Jeudi 29 avril 2004 16:40:14

What I see is that your prompt changes when you launch your second ksh (i.e. it is NOT a login shell) and this might be your problem.

Regards,

Fr
--

Joel Kammet
Occasional Advisor

This all seems very strange.

I downloaded & installed the ATT ksh to use in my Unix Shell Programming class last semester. I never noticed any problem with date. I'm running it under Red Hat 9 in a desktop and in a notebook. The date command returns the correct EDT whether I execute it from the command line or in a #!/bin/ksh script. I never had to do anything special to get it to work -- just installed it locally according to the ATT instructions.

One thought: did you set up ksh to be your login shell? I left bash as the login shell, & just run ksh from the bash command line. As far as I know, all of my scripts ran the same under this setup as they did on the Sun workstations at school, even the ones that did not run correctly in the bash shell.
Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor

Wow, lots of responses going on here!!

Fred: KSH is my login shell and the second shell was running correctly, however the PS1 information is stored in my .profile and not .kshrc, which is why it showed a $ and not the normal PS1 prompt.

Joel: The pre-compiled ksh from AT&T's site doesn't have date built-in (which is where all our problems are coming from), so the problem doesn't exist in this version, but we needed some extra functionality, and the developers didn't spot the bug in the date builtin and can't re-compile it until the project their on is over.
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

What I mean by "login shell" is a particular shell which execute you profile. As long as your new ksh is not a login shell (man ksh or bash or whatever shell you want), you dont set environnement :
. ENV is not set, so you don't run the script that set your alias
. PS1 is not set, and so your prompt is not set anymore
. TZ is not set, and so you don't seem to be in the correct time zone any more.

Try to replace your
#!/bin/ksh
by
#!/bin/ksh -
(force shell to be a login shell)

Regards,

Fred
--