1748272 Members
4339 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ATAPI CDRW hangs after writing volume

Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

ATAPI CDRW hangs after writing volume

Thinking about Kell's problem with her diskappearing cdrom reminded me of the reason I moved my cdrw back into my winblows box -- the ide bus hangs with repeated scsi reset commands after the drive's finished writing a track. This has been fairly consistent across three versions of cdrecord and RH 7.0, .1, and .2 installations.

Anyone seen/solved this one?

Thanks in advance for assistance.
Mark
7 REPLIES 7
Kelli Ward
Trusted Contributor

Hi Mark,
I haven't seen this problem, but;
have you seen this link.
It contains a version of cdrecord and a patch.

http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/PLD/dists/nest/PLD/alpha/PLD/RPMS/cdrecord-1.9-4.alpha.html

Perhaps, it could be of use.
Good luck,
Kel
The more I learn, the more I realize how much more I have to learn. Isn't it GREAT!
Kelli Ward
Trusted Contributor

Hi Mark,
Forget the last post, I didn't notice the alpha.

How about this link, which is a search for cdrecord on rpmfind.net

http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=cdrecord&submit=Search+...

Good luck,
Kel
The more I learn, the more I realize how much more I have to learn. Isn't it GREAT!
Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

Kelli,

Thanks for the idea -- I was kind of hoping that someone had seen the problem before, but I'll check out the updated version and see if it clears up my problem. Points after I have done so.....

Mark
Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

Kelli,

I installed the newer version of cdrecord -- but there was no real improvement. (though I did manage to record a single track in multisession mode without hanging, until I told the recorder to close the session. sigh..)

I'm going to look into another aspect -- mayhap the CDRW is just not truly compatible with Linux, or maybe there are other options that I can include in the compile of cdrecord that will fix the problem.

I found that there're several other people out there that've had similar problems with ATAPI CDRW's, but so far have found no solutions on the web.

Thanks again!
Mark
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Just wondering, have you looked at updating the firmware of the CDRW? It's possible that the instructions it's being sent (as a SCSI emulated IDE drive (thus the 'ide-scsi' thing)) arn't gettin processed properly.

I also noticed that you've not said what make/model of CDRW you've got. Using RH7.1 at home, I didn't really have any issues with the panasonic drive I'm using (but it is kinda old)..
One long-haired git at your service...
Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

Stuart,

Thanks for the post. I'll be looking at that later. I didn't have that info handy last week (the drive is at home, I'm at work, this is my "spare" time).

Kelli Ward
Trusted Contributor

Hi,
Have you checked the cdrecord.conf file?
There could be an improper setting in there.
Good luck,
Kel