1748165 Members
3743 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding Memory

David h_5

Adding Memory

I have an HP a1510n that comes with four banks to add memory and two banks have a stick of DDR SD RAM 512MB. I purchased two sticks of the same specification of RAM except they are 1GB each and High Density(whatever that means, I dont know if the stock RAM is high denstiy or not). I installed the 2GB and my computer would just load to the setup menu where I can hit either escape, F1 or F10, however no matter what I hit, it does not respond, the screen remains the same. Sometimes when I turn on my computer the monitor remains black, and I can hear the fans runnning louder than usuall and constant. So I tried only inserting an extra 1GB of RAM instead of two, and it works fine this way.Does anyone know why this happens and is it possible to get the extra 1GB of RAM to work as well?I know the computer can handle 3GB of RAM because its max is 4GB.Thank you
4 REPLIES 4
Kwan Fong, Emile
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding Memory

Hello david,

HP A1510n is a Pavilion PC. You are here on the MPE/iX Operating System room. I'll move this thread to Microsoft General.
King is the customer!
Gfuss
Trusted Contributor

Dave,
Make sure you are installing them in pairs if necessary. If your slots are color coded, make sure that the same chip sizes are in the same colors (e.g. black slots have 1Gb and blue have 512Mb). I'd also take both 512s out and see if you can get the computer to get at least 2Gb to recognize and go from there.

Let me know what you find.
David h_5

Ive made sure that I inserted them in pairs, but what I have found is that when I try using the two 1GB sticks alone without the two 512MB, that it does not work either, I also tried using the 2GB plus one 512MB, and the computer loads up but then shuts back down then loads up and shuts back down and so on...What I am using now though works, which is a 1GB stick two 512MB, I have the 1GB in the first bank and the 512MB in the following banks, meaning im occupying banks 1-3.However it would be nice to use that extra 1GB.
Gfuss
Trusted Contributor

You have verified that both 1Gb sticks work well by themselves?

When you have them all installed, do you have any indicators that you can refernce for troubleshooting (e.g. Power LED blinks 3 times, beeping).