1753970 Members
7494 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding PCI video to an L1000

Kurt Greener
Occasional Contributor

Adding PCI video to an L1000

I am having trouble getting the video working correctly. The CDE login screen shows up, I can enter a username and password, the blue copyright screen comes up and it hangs at that point. Any suggestions?
5 REPLIES 5
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding PCI video to an L1000

Beginning 6/00, L-Class servers will support the A6150A 2-D Graphics
hardware. The A6150A consists of a graphics and a USB PCI card. The
graphics card must be installed in a Turbo slot, while the USB can
be installed in any slot.

The USB card provides two ports, one port each for keyboard and mouse.
HP-UX 11.0 Support Plus (IPR) 0006, June 2000 or later, is required to
support the A6150A 2-D graphics. A maximum of one A6150A is supported
per L-Class system can be installed and it does not support 3-D graphics.

The A6150A 2-D graphic card is optional and does NOT provide graphics
console support. In other words, the A6150A cannot be used as a
system console. All boot information will be directed to the Secure
Web Console and NOT to the installed graphic card.

I'd also make sure I have the latest and greatest patches etc : I'd be thinking the ACE Dec 99 patch bundle + latest CDE and Xserver patches.

One thing to note, it sounds as if CDE started OK ..... ? check /var/dt/Xerrors for clues ... if the CDE hang is on a remote display setup a font server (see man xfs)
Kurt Greener
Occasional Contributor

The only entry in /var/dt/Xerrors is; Warning: Cannot convert string ":Alt CtrlInsert" to type VirtualBinding

What do I need for a graphics console?
Kenneth Platz
Esteemed Contributor

Kurt,

Alex is correct as to the hardware you require, however the software requirements are a little bit more strict.

First, in order to be in a supported configuration, you must install the Hardware Enablement/Critical AND the General Release patch bundles from the June 2000 (or newer) Support Plus CD. While you MIGHT be able to get this to work with individual patches, I would not recommend this.

Second, you need to reconfigure your kernel, and ensure the following device drivers are installed:
graph3, beep, usbd, hub, hcd, hid

Third, you should remove the /etc/dt/config/Xservers file and stop/restart the CDE login daemon (the easiest way to do this is with an init 2, followed by an init 3). This will allow the CDE login process to start on the console.
I think, therefore I am... I think!
Kenneth Platz
Esteemed Contributor

Kurt,

I would check the $HOME/.dt/startlog file for additional clues. The last 2 or 3 lines of this file usually indicate the reason(s) that CDE login is hanging.
I think, therefore I am... I think!
Kurt Greener
Occasional Contributor

The mentioned kernel drivers are installed. I also have installed the XSWHWCR1100, XSWGR1100, QPK1100 bundles from the June 2000 support+ cd.