Operating System - HP-UX
1748227 Members
4385 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Again: "Listener" High Availability? (ORACLE)

Rookie
Occasional Contributor

Again: "Listener" High Availability? (ORACLE)

Hello,

I'm rookie, I recently posted How-To: "Listener" High Availability? ...I just want to clarify that I do have 'floating' IP, the HP personnal configured this...when I said HOST-A and HOST-B I meant PKG-A and PKG-B (sorry, my fault). What I'm doing is starting and stoping oracle instances from the customer_defined_run_cmds and customer_defined_halt_cmds respectively.

I get the file systems mounted and everything but as I said, I get "database not mounted".

I believe is an Oracle issue...cause the HP personnal configured this two packages to mount their file systems where oracle databases (binaries & data) are...again, I am just customizing...

function customer_defined_run_cmds
{

su - oracle -c "/home/oracle/orastart.sh TBSCS"
su - oracle -c "/home/oracle/orastart.sh DRTEST"

function customer_defined_halt_cmds
{

su - oracle -c "/home/oracle/orastop.sh TBSCS"
su - oracle -c "/home/oracle/orastop.sh DRTEST"

any other suggestions???

---------- John Palmer Wrote ----------

Hi,

You need to configure your Serviceguard Package to have its own 'floating' IP address and configure the listener to listen on that address only.

Let me know if you need full details on how to configure this.

Regards,
John

------------- Pramod Wrote -----------------
Hi,

There is an IP associated with each package configured in MC/SG to make the package failover transparent to the end user and this IP is know as floating IP address.

This IP would be boud to the system on which the concerned package is running ( done by MC/SG control script) and all the user/application package must use this IP address for transparency.

From your input it seems that you haven't configured any floating IP with the package ( oracle) and you are using the IP address of the primary system in your package ( oracle ) configuration file.

You need to configure the Floating IP address in your control script and use that IP in your oracle config file instead of Host A IP address.

Refer the docs at http://www.docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/B3936-90026/B3936-90026.html for more informations.

Regards,

Pramod

---------- Rookie Wrote ---------

I'm trying to configure databases high availability within HP9000 Cluster (Two nodes).
When node A fails, its database file systems are mounted in node B but I cannot access the node B database. I added both hosts names and oracle_sid's in each listener.ora file, but I cannot see the instance when I do "ps - eaf|grep pmon"; however when I try to startup the database manually It says database is already running and when trying to stop it I get "database not mounted".

Here is how I configured my hosts in listener.ora:

SQLNET.AUTENTICATION_SERVICES = (BEQ,NONE)
LISTENER =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS= (PROTOCOL= TCP)(HOST = PKG A)(PORT = 1521))

(ADDRESS= (PROTOCOL= TCP)(HOST = PKG B)(PORT = 1526))

...But I saw an example somewhere like this:

LISTENER =
( ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS =
(PROTOCOL=tcp)
(HOST=)
(PORT=1521)
(COMMUNITY=UK_SUP_TCPIP)
)
(ADDRESS =
(PROTOCOL=ipc)
(KEY=700)
(COMMUNITY=UK_SUP_TCPIP)
)
)

I didn't try this way cause I didn't know what is that Key=700.

Any suggestions please ???
5 REPLIES 5
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Well, I didn't set my Oracle stop and start scripts in the same manner (in /etc/cmcluster/~.pkg) as you do.

Basically, for daily ups and downs of the database (since presently on some boxes we are not doing a hot backup) I ALWAYS run my scripts from /usr/local/bin.
I set up a script (shutdown_oracle.sh) that just does the su -oracle -c and then states to run the down scripts that are sitting out under /home/oracle/stop_db.sh.
NOW in my /etc/cmcluster/~.pkg I just run the /usr/local/bin/shutdown_oracle.sh

So far, it works ok for me.
Steve Slade
Frequent Advisor

I seem to be coming into this discussion at the back end... but from an oracle perspective -
Do you obtain any Oracle error messages - its not too clear from above?

You seem to be starting and stopping the database from the local server(s). If this is the case, then your listener configuration, (right or wrong), would be irrelevant as svrmgrl does not use the listener. If you having problems mounting the database then, from an Oracle perspective, are the database control files in the location indicated by the init.ora file? Is Oracle able to access them at this location? Can Oracle update them?
If at first you do not succeed. Destroy all evidence that you even attempted.
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

I have the listener.ora set up as follows:
The IPC lines don't matter, you should be concerned with the TCP lines that is what your system uses.
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS= (PROTOCOL= IPC)(KEY= test))
(ADDRESS= (PROTOCOL= IPC)(KEY= PNPKEY))
(ADDRESS= (PROTOCOL= TCP)(Host= hostname)(Port= 1521))
)
SID_LIST_LISTENER =
(SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =
(GLOBAL_DBNAME= hostname.)
(ORACLE_HOME= /oracle)
(SID_NAME = test)
)
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
John Waller
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know if you've got any spare funds, but you may be better off buying the database product from HP. They have produced a set of ServiceGuard scripts specially for ORACLE. I don't know the cost as I am just a UNIX person and don't get involved with the Oracle chaps or finance but I do know that it made my life simple. All I had to do was to fill in system information like the ORAHOME , ORASID etc , and the script controls the starting , stopping , failovers and monitoring of ORACLE. We also had a webdb listener so I just made a copy of the oracle stuff and modified a few lines for it to control the webdb stuff as well.

Hi,

Yes, it's true, HP sells an solution for HA Oracle Databases. It costs approx $750. Although, it is quite easy to write the scripts yourself.

With regards,
Dieter Degrendele
Dieter@Work