108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Allbase linux driver?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Drew Flickema
Occasional Contributor

Allbase linux driver?

Is there any effort towards an ODBC driver for Linux (Debian, ix86 or hppa) or a PERL module to support client access into Allbase? Thank you
4 REPLIES 4
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

There are opensource ODBC servers available (i.e. www.iodbc.org), but as to whether any drivers exist for such to access an Allbase database, I'm unsure of.

Doing some quick searching, I was unable to find any. Do you intend to host the Allbase database on a Linux box?
One long-haired git at your service...
Drew Flickema
Occasional Contributor

I did not know that Allbase would run on Linux. I am not tying to run Allbase on Linux but if it is possible, could I connect to another Allbase instance? I also searched for a linux client access solution and came up unsuccessful which prompted my finding of this forum. Thanks for the speedy response.
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor
Solution

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that.

From what I can see, Allbase is proprietry HP-UX MPE/iX.

There does already appear to be ODBC plugins for it under that platform, and I'm sure it would not be difficult to get standard ODBC tools to use it, no matter what platform you're coming from.

The more I read, the more I get confused as to what Allbase/SQL actually is :P Much fun.

Anyway, I couldn't find any perl modules that will talk directly too an Allbase database, but as I said, there's ODBC, so can use perl ODBC drivers.

You might find this interesting: http://www.robelle.com/library/tutorials/pdfs/sharing.pdf

Just stumbled across it, it covers accessing an Allbase database in different fasions.

Just some ramblings.. ;) Sorry I can't come up with any concrete answers for you.
One long-haired git at your service...
Drew Flickema
Occasional Contributor

Interesting link, thanks. I'll mess around with the PERL odbc mod and see if I am successful. I also followed your link to iodbc. Looks interesting too.