108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Anti-Virus for RedHat on Itanium

SOLVED
Go to solution
john guardian
Super Advisor

Anti-Virus for RedHat on Itanium

Anyone know of a source for commercial AV software for the IA64/Itanium machines running RedHat?

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
john guardian
Super Advisor

Apparently NO ONE has a clue as to an ANTIVIRUS solution for IA64 running RHEL4???
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Apparently not. Linux/IA64 is still a niche market compared to Linux/x86.

You should contact your anti-virus vendors to let them know there is demand for Linux/IA64 solutions, otherwise there won't be any products.

Remember that you can install the RedHat IA-32 Execution Layer on Linux/IA64 and use it to run 32-bit Linux/x86 software on IA64. Of course, using the 32-bit code through emulation will never be as fast as running native IA64 code.

Of course, if you run a commercial Linux/x86 anti-virus package on Linux/IA64 using the emulation layer, the vendor may or may not support it. So if you meant "commercially supported" when you said "commercial AV software", this option might not be for you.

MK
MK
DanaPrewit
Frequent Advisor

You might look at the following and see if the links lead you to a solution through a RedHat partner or third party ISV.

http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_44_6210.shtm

Hope it helps.

I'm curious, we've had no virus problems with our systems and frankly, with all the built in security on RHEL, haven't been concerned. Has this become an issue in your deployment even with the built in security of RHEL?

Dana
Gweeper64
Occasional Advisor

Well, half commercial..... ClamAV is one of the most popular open source anti-virus packages out there and is available in RHEL (though maybe not the most up to date version all the time). A company called SourceFire aquired the IP of ClamAV last year, so there is a commercial entity standing behind the open source code now.

ClamAV is an excellent package but it is best to keep up to date with their releases as much as possible. I don't know how far behind upstream the RHEL update servers usually lag.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

I've heard several cases on HP-UX where people didn't necessarily need an AV to protect their system but wanted it to scan data/mail that passed through to Windows systems.

Is this what you are interested in?
john guardian
Super Advisor

My thx to all who participated!