4767 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Aries coredumps/memory limits.

UNIXTEK
Frequent Advisor

Aries coredumps/memory limits.

Hi Guys

The company for which I work have bought an 'enterprise' application, that, on IA64, runs as a parisc 1.1 binary. That ofcourse fires up aries to run the application. During the lifecycle of the application, it calls a native IA64 binary..... or tries to. It coredumps with a big bang. Running tusc I see that it coredumps with ENOMEM.

In the FAQ for aries i found

http://h21007.www2.hp.com/portal/site/dspp/menuitem.863c3e4cbcdc3f3515b49c108973a801/?ciid=a408713ba4f02110713ba4f02110275d6e10RCRD#tshoot_memallocerr

"nswer: If the emulated HP 9000 HP-UX application fails with error ENOMEM while allocating memory - make sure that the value of kernel tunable parameter pa_maxssiz_32bit is not set to a very high value.

64-bit emulated processes are not likely to experience this issue under ARIES."

Looking at pa_maxssiz_32bit I found that it was set to the lowest possible. So nothing to tweak there.

Besides stating the obvious that the 'enterprise application' sucks, can you help me doing SOMETHING to get this piece of software to run?

The machine in question has 14GB of memory. The coredump of the process is 6GB(!)

Any input is recieved with warmth and beer (if you happend to be in denmark ;-))
18 REPLIES 18
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Aries coredumps/memory limits.

>it calls a native IA64 binary. or tries to. It coredumps with a big bang. Running tusc I see that it coredumps with ENOMEM.

Which process aborts? Is your PA process a 64 bit process?
What are the lats bunch of lines in your tusc output?

Do you have a stack trace? What is getting ENOMEM?
UNIXTEK
Frequent Advisor

It is the PA-risc binary that core dumps.

-rw------- 1 root sys 6303696 Jun 7 04:00 /core.

I have cut'n pasted a bit, you can see the trace attached to this mail, from where it dumps. I have masked the application with * in the output
UNIXTEK
Frequent Advisor

Forgot

tsiv@gobi|pts/1:/home/tsiv$ sudo file /opt/*************/aplication
/*************/application: PA-RISC1.1 shared executable dynamically linked dynamically linked

So 32-bit.
Rajesh K Chaurasia
Valued Contributor

Hi,

There isn't enough information as yet to know the root cause and suggest a resolution/workaround.

What ARIES is installed on your system? If not already on PHSS_41422 (11.23) / PHSS_41423 (11.31) please update ARIES patch.

What is the exact error message you see on stdout/stderr? What is the value of kernel tunable parameters maxdsiz, maxssiz and base_pagesize (only on 11.31)?

Can you attach last few lines in tusc log including most recent brk() system calls?

Regards
-Rajesh
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

It looks like it coredumps with signal 11, not ENOMEM.

It would help if you used: tusc -fp -ea

It seems like you have process or thread output interspersed. Add -u if you have threads.
Rajesh K Chaurasia
Valued Contributor

Dennis, you are right. The process died due to SIGSEGV for an address which does not appear to be mapped. The ENOMEM error is from mprotect() call.

The tusc log is only partial starting from SIGSEGV delivery to application. From this point onwards rest of the log is for core file writing. Still the log appears to be in order.

So it looks like application is failing due to corrupt address. I would suggest getting backtrace from core file using GDB and listing of faulting code sequence.

Regards
-Rajesh
UNIXTEK
Frequent Advisor

Hi Guys

We are not on the patch level suggested by you

tsiv@gobi|pts/3:/home/tsiv$ sudo swlist -l patch | grep -i aries | grep -v Binaries | grep -vi libraries
# PHCO_36447 1.0 aries(5) man page patch
# PHCO_36448 1.0 Japanese aries(5) man page patch
# PHSS_38527 1.0 Aries cumulative patch

Attached a full trace. From 'idle' to 'idle' in the application.

The work that I put the application up for is 'get system info' and that involves a lot of fetching hardware infor and whats not. And in the end it core dumps.
UNIXTEK
Frequent Advisor

Installing the latest aries patch as suggested here does not help unfortiunatly. Still coredumps. In fact I get two core dumps in / now, one for the application before and one called just /core

If you need anything else to help just say so.
Rajesh K Chaurasia
Valued Contributor

If the failure persists with PHSS_41423 ARIES patch please submit the issue to HP response center. We may not be able to find root cause by debugging this over ITRC forum :-)

BTW, the second core file file named "core" is core file written by kernel for the whole process image which includes ARIES memory regions as well.

Regards
-Rajesh