1752587 Members
4067 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Array status on DL360 G2 Smart Array 5i controller running RH 7.3

Al_56
Regular Advisor

Array status on DL360 G2 Smart Array 5i controller running RH 7.3

I need to check the status of the array (mirrored disks) on a DL360 G2 Smart Array 5i, and l have not installed the "HP Array Configuration Utility for Linux".

In order to install the "HP Array Configuration Utility for Linux" (http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/18822.html) l need to update the following Array drivers:
CPQARRAY driver version 2.4.25 or later
CCISS driver version 2.4.42 or later

l'm a bit hesitant to update the RAID drivers in case of totally screwing up the RAID (Are these driver updates pretty bullet proof?).

How do l check to see which versions of these drivers are installed on the server? I am hoping to get this info remotely as the server is at a clients site.

I did not install any of the Compaq management tools when l built the server, and am hoping to keep it as simple as possible.

l don't really want a web interface running on the server, so is there another way to check my array status?

At worst, l guess l could install the version of the "HP Array Configuration Utility for Linux" that works with our current RAID drivers, and therefore avoid updating the RAID drivers.

Thanks in advance,

Alan
8 REPLIES 8
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

If you're running a modular kernel (lsmod), and your RAID controller driver is as a module ('cciss' in the case of a 'Smart Array 5i' or 'Smart Array 5i plus', 'cpqarray' in the case of a 'Smart Array Intergrated Controller'), you should be able to use the 'modinfo' command to get the driver version number.

If you're using a stock RH73 distribution, and not the drivers that came from HP, then I doubt they'll be up-to-date enough.

On a RH8 box I have here, with stock modules:

[root@linux /root]# modinfo cciss
filename: /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/block/cciss.o
description: "Driver for Compaq SA5xxx Controllers version 2.4.30"
author: "Charles M. White III - Compaq Computer Corporation"
license: "GPL"

RH73's will be older.

If you get the appropriate driver for your array for the current running kernel from HP, there isn't much danger of doing damage to your containers. Make sure the 'initrd' gets updated after installing them, and reboot.
One long-haired git at your service...
Al_56
Regular Advisor

Thanks Guru.

l ran 'lsmod' and got the following:
Module Size Used by Not tainted
autofs 11844 0 (autoclean) (unused)
tg3 45600 1
ipchains 50124 14
usb-ohci 20544 0 (unused)
usbcore 73792 1 [usb-ohci]
ext3 65984 5
jbd 47500 5 [ext3]
cciss 42016 6
aic7xxx 133248 0
sd_mod 12828 0
scsi_mod 107548 2 [cciss aic7xxx sd_mod]

l ran 'modinfo cciss' and got back:
filename: /lib/modules/2.4.20-28.7/kernel/drivers/block/cciss.o
description: "Driver for HP SA5xxx SA6xxx Controllers version 2.4.42"
author: "Charles M. White III - Hewlett-Packard Company"

l ran 'modinfo cpqarray' and got back:
filename: /lib/modules/2.4.20-28.7/kernel/drivers/block/cpqarray.o
description: "Driver for Compaq Smart2 Array Controllers version 2.4.25"
author: "Compaq Computer Corporation"
parm: eisa int array (min = 1, max = 8)

So now l can see that my cciss and cpqarray modules are current enough that l don't have to update them. Fabulous.

What should l glean from the output of the 'lsmod'?

Do l just install the "HP Array Configuration Utility for Linux" RPM now? and check it out.

l know now that l don't have to install the drivers that this question is a bit irrelevant, but how would l make sure the 'initrd' gets updated after installing the drivers?

Thanks for your help so far.

Alan.
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

As you don't have to update the drivers, you don't have to worry about the 'initrd'.

So yes, you can just install the array configuration rpm(s).

The reason for the 'lsmod' was to make sure which driver you were using. 'cciss' is the answer, so it didn't matter what the output of 'modinfo cpqarray' was ;)

Anyway, Array Config utils. Go fer it!
Al_56
Regular Advisor

l may yet have to worry about it....

l installed the
cpqacuxe-7.0-1.linux.i386.rpm module and received this warning:

WARNING: The version of cciss driver should be greater than or equal to 2.4.44.
If you have cciss controllers, please upgrade your cciss driver for proper
functionality of Array Configuration Utility.

And when l try to access the web interface (after setting the administrator password and starting the service), l get a rejected login attempt (and yes, l checked and triple checked the password).

l do have bastille running, only allowing in ports 80 & 443, but since l am running this via the console (via VNC actually) l doubt this could be the issue.

Any thoughts?

Al_56
Regular Advisor

Sorry, was able to finally get in. Seemd the VNC session had caps on.....

The home page on the utility showed that l had no failed or degraded items.

The array configuration utility detected my configuration successfully, and showed that my Array "A" had 2 physical 18.2gig drives configured as Logical Drive 1, with 17359MB using RAID 1+0.

The controller state shows 2 green arrows chasing eachother qround in a circle. Hopefully that means that all is well with the mirror.

So it all looks fine l guess. Please let me know if there is anything else l can check.

Prashant, if the ADU shows more info, please let me know where to get it, as l could not find it on the download site.

Thanks for your help Claypool.
Al_56
Regular Advisor

Sorry Stuart. l meant to thank you for your great help with this issue, instead of Claypool who helped me on another issue. Please forgive my "typing b4 thinking" error.
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Is ok Al. I'm guilty of the same thing many times myself :)

I'm glad to hear things are working out.

I've only used the ACU tools on 2 machines. I can't remember if the ACUXE packages install any active-monitoring tools, or just the array conf util.

As was said in one of the posts here, it is advised you install all of the ASM utilities, as they do do all such monoitoring and logging.
Roberto Polli
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

If you still have the old cciss driver and receive the warning, you may try to use the 'old' hpasm/acu given in PSP v6.4

I use it from 1y and replaced drives and rebuild array without problems.
Anyway I use a patched RH8...

Peace, R.