1748158 Members
4079 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Assembler porting woes on HP-UX (hppa2) cross compile

Curtis Steward
Occasional Contributor

Assembler porting woes on HP-UX (hppa2) cross compile

After much googling, all I can conclude is it looks like binutils is only supported on HP-UX natively, not crossed. Looks like many others have gone this path before. The consensus is due to the som.h in HP-UX. Compiling with -DHOST_HPPAHPUX reveals that both 1st.h and machine/reg.h files are missing, looks like an involved process of having to hack the code for the possiblity of it working. Big no, no. I've seen other threads with this exact same issue...

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2002-04/msg00020.html

Has anyone else resolved cross compiles to a HP-UX (hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.x) target or does HP have a solution in the back closet?

cs
5 REPLIES 5
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Re: Assembler porting woes on HP-UX (hppa2) cross compile

If you are talking about cross compiling between HP-UX 11i on pa-risc and Itanium, it is possible, but not with the default tools.
They were availble last I saw from the devresource web site: www.devresource.hp.com
Mom 6
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Curtis Steward
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I took a look at DSPP. I'm actually trying to go from i686 to hppa2 rather than the Itanium. I did find a reference to the LPK (Linux Porting Kit) which sounds like it might do it, but all links are dead :(

cs
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

I don't think that exists. There was at one time a x86 environment to mimic an Itanium processor, before Itanium hardware was released, but I have never seen anything to compile on x86 with a pa-risc target. There is the ability to compile on Itanium with 64-bit LINUX and run that executable on Itanium running HP-UX, so that 64-bit Itanium LINUX code can run directly on HP-UX, but I have that doesn't exist for pa-risc. Sorry.
Mom 6
Harri Pasanen
Occasional Advisor

I think you could perhaps do it, if you were targeting 64 bit PA-RISC, which uses ELF object format, and thus GNU linker. If you can make it work, let us know.

Alternatively, you could perhaps do just the compile step on i686, using DISTCC on HP-UX, and perform the link native. Ofcourse this means you actually need to have a HP-UX box at hand in your network.

-harri