Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Async. I/O - Oracle - Is there any way to find out ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Degner, Jürgen
Occasional Advisor

Async. I/O - Oracle - Is there any way to find out ?

Because of an current database problem we do have a little discussion about the I/O coming from the Oracle DB.
Our DB_Admin says, that the database is configured for async. IO - as far as I know this also needs to be enabled on the operating system. We are using HP-UX 11.23 v2 and Online JFS 4.1 - However since the DB-Files are not located on RAW devices, data should not come in other then syncronized.
Is there any way to find out ?

Regards
J. Degner
3 REPLIES
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Async. I/O - Oracle - Is there any way to find out ?

That is correct - async I/O is only for RAW and HFS filesystems - period.

Tell DBA's to turn off async I/O.

Async IO is NOT supported on file systems, only on raw devices and particular volume managers like Veritas.

http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/initparams061.htm#sthref246

So basically, we shouldn't be using async i/o on HP-UX.

Someone else said to look at metalink note 60692.1

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Coolmar
Esteemed Contributor

Please see the following thread....it basically confirms what Geoff wrote above, but good to see other opinions - esp. since you have to go back to the DBA with this information.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1040722&admit=-682735245+1165263807457+28353475

S.
Degner, Jürgen
Occasional Advisor

Thank you all for the quick response, I strongly believe that our DBA will accept these information. I assume that he is going to try out working with i/o slaves.

Regards
J. Degner