Operating System - HP-UX
1753528 Members
5242 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Autoraid compatibility with HP-UX v. 11.23

miner49er

Autoraid compatibility with HP-UX v. 11.23

I am new to the HP-UX environment and we have an L2000 with 4 PA-RISC 440 CPUтАЩs and 2GB RAM using a Model 12H Autoraid disk array. The current OS version is 11.00 and I would like to get it to v.11.23. Is this possible using this model Autoraid? If so, what do I need to do before installing the OS? The problem has been that I cannot get the Autoraid to be recognized with OS above 11.00. Thank you for your answer in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

No way.

No HVD SCSI support in 11.23.

Keep in mind, today a single disk has more capacity than the whole autoraid.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
miner49er

Thank you for the answer. I see that I can have a total of 4 drives in the L2000. Can you tell me the interface type and the drives that are currently available? Many thanks from an HP-UX novice.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

The disk drives for the L-series are LVD SCSI, but the drives are in a special carrier.

HP supports up to 73 GB drives, I think. I am using 146 GB drives I purchased from a 3rd party that appear to be working fine so far.

From partsurfer.hp.com:

A5802AR
9GB hot-plug Ultra2 Low Voltage Differential (LVD) SCSI SCA hard drive - 10,000 RPM, low profile

A5803AR
18GB hot-plug Ultra-2 SCSI hard drive module - 10,000 RPM, low profile

A6110AR
36GB hot-plug Ultra-2 Low Voltage Differential (LVD) SCSI SCA hard drive - 10,000 RPM, low profile (Seagate)

A6091AR
73GB hot-plug Ultra2 SCSI hard drive - 10,000 RPM, low profile

miner49er

Sorry, one more question: I noticed that these are also LVD SCSI. Does than not present the same problem even though they would be resident in the L2000 and not the 12H? Again, many thanks for your assistance.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

No, these are fully supported.

The Autoraid is HVD (high voltage differential -- also known as FWD / FastWide Differential SCSI). LVD (low voltage differential) and HVD are completely different SCSI protocols.

A good explanation of LVD vs HVD here:
http://www.storagesearch.com/lvdart.html

miner49er

Thank you sir for you great explanation. It has greatly assisted me with my issues.