New Discussion юеВ

Re: BSC - Why?? bad decision - broken links and unable to find old documents

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tuan Nguyen_2
Frequent Advisor

BSC - Why?? bad decision - broken links and unable to find old documents

hi,

I had read this thread http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-UX-Technical-Documentation/How-To-Find-Documents/m-p/4697783#M1269

why, why? where are all the HP wise guys at the HP headquarter? you should not approve this migration to BSc, now all your pdf references and the great ITRC forum threads become useless. It is quite irritate and confuse. It seems they donтАЩt know what they are doing :-(

Is there a quick way (with 2 clicks) to find this document (and many other)? please not mention about google and other regular bcs search.

http://docs.hp.com/en/14670/ENW-TBPS-TW.pdf

BR Tuan

13 REPLIES 13
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>Is there a quick way to find this document (and many other)?

Well for this document, you can search all of HP in search box above for ENW-TBPS-TW.pdf and it points right at: Tunable Base Page Size
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01916157/c01916157.pdf

(I was pleasently surprised.)
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

It's NOT only happening with HP.... Redhat also had a recent revamp.

I hope it is not due to an impending LOCKDOWN of all docus/info/etc -- so only those with Support Contracts can access docs ;^)

It already has happened with RedHat.. not surprising if the same happens here..

But who knows, it may very well just be a "reorg" for the better...
Hakuna Matata.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

see also

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1425824

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

@Alzhy:

"a "reorg" for the better..."

for the better ?? Really ??

I hope you realize what an oxymoron that term is :) a reorg never makes anything better, unless you are upper management and trying to hide something from powers that be.

Melski... I hear ya oud and lear!
Hakuna Matata.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Mel: unless you are upper management and trying to hide something from powers that be.

Aren't they the same? ;-)
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Powers that be I am referring to is SEC, Fed etc. not the company management :)

Migrating to a new location is one thing. Completely removing the original document URL location and not replacing it with a link to the new location is an very bad situation. *EVERY* workbook that HP Education has is now full of useless links. Similarly, all hardware and software manuals have thousands of links but most often, the link does not contain a title that can be searched, only the URL. Tens of thousands of links in README files, ITRC posts, whitepapers, presentations, etc are rendered useless. I have hundreds of links in my browser to documentation that are no longer useable. I understand that if know the title of the document, that a BCS search may find it. But titles are non-existent for the vast majority of HP documentation references.

This oversight has made shambles of what was once a great documentation and cross-referencing system (docs.hp.com) and crippled most of the existing documents.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

This has been such a sad thread to read, to add insult to injury it is clear that HP is bound and determined to continue this debacle with this announcement that Tim Nelson brought out:
Seems that HP is getting hard of hearing. sad...

http://support.openview.hp.com/communities.jsp

The ITRC forums will continue to exist until mid-2011 at which time they will migrate into the new HP Software Solutions Community. We strongly encourage you to initiate new discussions via the HP Software Solutions Community now given the advance functionality that the Community encompasses.

Sadly, I see and end on the horizon to what was a great forum.

Don't think anyone can explain why HP fell so in love the crap garbage of software that was and is Compaq [SIMM, BSC...and the list goes on]? If Compaq was all that great they'd have bought-out HP, not the other way around.

Haven't decided if I will bother to go out to that new one. What's the point - I may just hang around on my own site.

You are deaf HP - and you are likely to loose alot of great talent out here like the folks above. Is it ignorance on your part HP, or arrogance?

Sorry for ranting,
Rita