Baan x Unix x NT

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vogra
Regular Advisor

Baan x Unix x NT

Hi All!
I have a problem that I have to consider in do the following:
I have BaanIV with Oracle in the same server (UNIX HPUX11.00). I don't have disk space and I'm trying to user Baan on UNIX and a database (export/import) on NT with Oracle (same version that unix).
Anyone can help me or know if it is possible?
My initial problem is how to set oracle_home on Baan environment on UNIX server...?
Thanx,
Lima.
We are spirits in the material world
4 REPLIES 4
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Baan x Unix x NT

I'm having a little trouble following your question but I think I understand.

You don't have many ORACLE env variables to change because you are still going to need Oracle (at least the network client pieces) on your UNIX box; ORACLE_HOME will stay the same. Each Baan user has a .profile so that that will take care of any changes. The best way is to have a file (e.g. /usr/local/bin/baanenv.sh) that each .profile sources.
e.g. . /usr/local/bin/baanenv.sh
(This file must not have an exit or return statement).

You will need to change (actually not set) ORACLE_SID. Replace it with export TWO_TASK=baanprdnt (or whatever the listener name is).

You will need to set up a listener on your NT box. After setting TWO_TASK on your UNIX box, you must be able to use sqlplus to make a test connection to your NT box.

Your final step is to change ${BSE}/lib/tabledef6.1.

Each line will have something like
ccrmp530:*:oracle8(ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7,ORACLE_SID=baanprd):N

You need to change ORACLE_SID=baanprd to TWO_TASK=baanprdnt (or whatever you set the listener up as).
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Vogra
Regular Advisor

Hi Clay,
we have common directory with .profile for all user baan on Unix;
well, if I did undertand I have to have Oracle installed on UNIX, ok? If not, how can I run sqlplus to connect to NT
DB?
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

You must have Oracle installed in both your UNIX box and your NT box. In addition, your NT box must have a listener configured to attach the Baan instance running on NT.

On your UNIX box you must have an entry in ${ORACLE_HOME}/network/admin/tnsnames.ora that matches your TWO_TASK setting to complete the connection to the listener on the NT box.

Your tabledef6.1 file can actually have multiple hosts/instances configured. One might be for a table in a local Oracle instance while another might be defined as a remote Oracle or even Informix table.

I should mention that by far your easier answer is to hang more diskspace on your existing UNIX box; you are going to take a big performance hit with a remote database on an NT box.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Vogra
Regular Advisor

Clay,
I configured and now I already have users using it system.
I have a little problem with user bsp, but I think it's a bit problem.
Thanx so much,
Best regards.
Lima.