4798 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backp USING RMAN UTILITY

SOLVED
Go to solution

Backp USING RMAN UTILITY

Hi,

Does any body have backup procedure using RMAN.
I want to do backup on tape. I have Oracle 8.1.7.4 and HP-UX 11.00. I need full backup procedure and Incremental Procedure.

Thanks

GSM
Ghulam
7 REPLIES 7
Sanjay Kumar Suri
Honored Contributor

Refer following link:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a76990/toc.htm

sks
A rigid mind is very sure, but often wrong. A flexible mind is generally unsure, but often right.
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,

Please refer to the attached note from metalink

hope this helps!

regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi again,

Also note, that for tape backups RMAN should be relinked against the library of the media management software.

if you need any further help, do let us know.

regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)

Dear Yogeeraj!

Do I need seprate Server/Machine for RMAN? Or Can I install RMAN on the same production Server? Bcoz I don't have Seprate Machine Server. Some one told me that I need seprate Server Machine for RMAN. He said I need to create RMAN Backup Server for Backup and Recovery on seprate Machine. Is it true?

If I Install RMAN on the same production Database Server, will Database perfomnce be slow?

Thanks a lot for sending me very usefull informaiton about RMAN. Really you made my life easy.

Sanjay Thank you very much sending me link.

warm rgds

GSM
Ghulam

Hi All,

Please have a look my Hot Backup script. I have used "tar -rvf /dev/rmt/0m" command. I believe this is very slow unix command. Can you please tell me how can I use fbackup unix command. Could you please modify my script. Or if you know any faster unix command instead of tar and fbackup. I have to demonstrate to customer this solution for the time being then later on I'll show them hot backup using RMAN. I haven't use before RMAN so I need some time learn/practice on RMAN.

warm rgds

GSM
Ghulam
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

RMAN can use either of a recovery catalog or control files for backups.

The recovery catalog is just book-keeping information. Although, with RMAN you don't HAVE to use a recovery catalog, it is not mandatory. Oracle stuffs the minimal needed info into the control files of the database itself.

If you want to use the recovery catalog, you need to put it elsewhere. Otherwise, the recovery catalog will NOT be available if the database is damaged (just when you actually need it MOST).

You may wish to have another database on another machine to keep the recovery catalog because if you put the recovery catalog into the database you want to RECOVER -- how do you think RMAN would be able to use it to recover that database????

Since, you have only one server, it is up to you to decide..."a second instance", "catalog on the same database, i'll get another one soon"...

Finally, not just practice RMAN backup. RECOVERY is as important. Document everything.

regards
Yogeeraj
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi again,

i believe tar should be OK.

Why don't you work out the RMAN backup? If you have enough space, i would recommend that you do the RMAN backup to disk then tar it to the tape device.

Hot backup using RMAN is much easier than what you are attempting using your script. What will happen if you added another datafile to a tablespace and forgot to update your backup script?

if you need any further help, do let us know...

regards
Yogeeraj