3556 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Backup applications on HP-UX 11.00

Annie_2
Occasional Contributor

Backup applications on HP-UX 11.00

Hello,

Now I am using HP-UX 11.00,The hard disk is 144G,Who can tell me is there any applications on HP-UX I can backup the file automaticaly(except sam,fbackup)?

Thanks

Brs.
Annie
"Chacl command in Vxfs file system
15 REPLIES 15
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

Re: Backup applications on HP-UX 11.00

Do you want to buy a solution or use free software that is already available on the server?

HP's Omniback is a very comprehensive and fast solution that you would have to pay for and would be recommended for the amount of diskspace that you have.

As to free software, not including fbackup, I would recommend dump for hfs filesystems and vxdump for vxfs. You would have to script these though as each operate on a single filesystem. tar and cpio are also options but would also have to be scripted.

Hope this helps,

John
Andreas Voss
Honored Contributor

simple example for cron:

0 20 * * 1-5 find -depth |cpio -ocB >/dev/rmt/0m

Insert the right you want to backup.
Put this line into your crontab (crontab -e)
This will automatically start at 8:00 pm onto your DAT.

Regards

Andrew
Andreas Voss
Honored Contributor

Sorry,

haven't seen your disk amount (144GB) ??
If so no single tape drive can put so much data on one tape.
Have you a tape library ?
Then i would also recommend purchasing OmniBack.

ANdrew
Brian M. Fisher
Honored Contributor

I would also recommend OmniBack. The software is very powerful and versatile. The cuurent price is reasonable.

Brian
<*(((>< er
Perception IS Reality
Antoanetta Naghiu
Esteemed Contributor

If you can not get approval to buy OmniBack or other global backup solution, dependes on what tape device you have available, you can try one of the traditional backup solution on file systems (ex. backup /application over night and schedule another backup for os filesystem in the afternoon. Really depends on your particular environment.
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

For that amount of data, look at a library with some sort of backup software. The amount of data alone seems to say that a library is needed unless you have an operator to change tapes on a frequent basis.
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

A library and OmniBack is a great answer.
For the amount of data you have a DAT drive is really impractical, unless you or an operator want to do a lot of tape handling.
Although a DAT drive library might work.

A standalone DLT8000 drive would probably work. All of the data would probably fit on 3 tapes. Again, tape handling.

You could break up the logical volumes into 3 smaller backup jobs and run them on a rotating schedule. Then you just have to change 1 tape a day.

So much depends on what you are backing up and the frequency that you want to back it up. Speed, what is your backup window? OmniBack is probably the fastest, but, you have to pay for it. fbackup is on your system and works pretty well, has a good interface through sam. dump runs pretty fast, but, is a little more difficult to work with on restores. DLTs are faster and hold much more than DATs.

All of the answers have been viable. You need to define your environment and requirements to really find your answer.
Tim Malnati
Honored Contributor

A lot depends on what you have to backup and the equipment you have or plan to have to accomplish it. Most organizations are centarlizing their backup activities these days. If this is your case, you should probably try to fit into this larger picture. If this is the only HP machine in a standalone situation, then your options are a bit different.

The first thing you need to determine is what needs to be backed up, how often it needs to occur, and what people resources are available (and when) to handle tapes, offsite storage, etc. How much of the 144GB that you mention changes on a daily basis and will an incremental backup fit within a single storage unit? Are the data areas standard unix file systems or are they raw data areas used by some form of database that requires special handling? What constraints do you need to live with regarding system availability? Timing can be problematic also where backup activities could impact other production activities in terms of machine resources. How important is database synchronization and what hardware resources are available or will be needed to freeze the data? Is your data needed on other (non HP) platforms from time to time? What are the disaster recovery requirements? And how often do you need to recover backed up files to the system?

You may be thinking that these questions may be going off on a tangent, but realistically they should be your guidance on what you should implement. Fbackup is by far the best freebee solution for HP machines but is somwhat limited in its capabilities. You either need to have someone available to change a tape or you need to split the data over separate tape units. Some people in the thread have suggested some automated methods, but none of them is inexpensive both in terms of software and hardware.

One general thing I can tell you though. Avoid DAT tape equipment for backup storage with the volume of data that you have. They are fine for backup of the root volume group and make_recovery tapes, but they are of little use otherwise. They suffer in terms of capacity, speed, and device reliability. DLT's are the norm unless you get into some very large tape library equipment.

I know this really does not give a clear answer to your question, but the topic is not a simple 'one size fits all' situation either.
Tony Willis_1
Frequent Advisor

I used Legato to backup and restore 168GB system. Not cheap but, worked well wuth the DLT nad AIT Tape drives from Cybernetics.
The AIT was faster and each tape held 80GB.

I currently use EMC-EDM to backup NT,Netware,Solaris, and HP-UX.This is costly but, it works and backs-up about 1.2 TB per night.
"Not Today,Nice Try, Next Time"