New Discussion юеВ

Re: Bandwidth ->v VMware vs. Xen desktop

SOLVED
Go to solution
'chris'
Super Advisor

Bandwidth ->v VMware vs. Xen desktop

Hello

How much bandwidth needs a standard office VMware View Desktop without multimedia staffs and how much a standard office Xen desktop?
I know, it's a really difficult question, but what are average statistics?
5 REPLIES 5
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

in this case i would recommend to build some test enviroment, because each solution ( user requirements ) are different.

mikap
'chris'
Super Advisor

If we build a test environment and try some users that's not the same if ALL users will work productive over MPLS network.
Anyway, we have done already and tests where OK with both environment.
It's not the same if 5 branch users doing tests and after 55 users should works productive over 2x2Mbps.
What we really need is average bandwidth pro normal office desktop and for sure there are some statistics.
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,

probably you could make automated scripts for the test users. We tested some performance on the MS windows terminal servers, on the Vmware and of course on the xen server. It was before the vmware was decided as the default virtualisation platform in our company.

mikpa
Lucifer Megacruel
Valued Contributor

Hi chris,

Here are the some links which may be of use to you. But I do not have much experience in these areas. I am used to software emulators qemu and bochs ( also used JPC ) and know their implementation to a good extent. I found some links by simple searching basically.

http://www.brianmadden.com/blogs/brianmadden/archive/2008/11/25/do-you-think-vmware-is-catching-up-to-citrix-in-the-desktop-space-balderdash-citrix-needs-to-catch-up-to-vmware.aspx

http://vdestination.com/2010/09/24/citrix-vs-vmware-who-comes-out-on-top/

--Lucifer
"To Denouce the Evils of Truth and Love. To cause may hem and destruction and necromancy , Lucifer is here"
'chris'
Super Advisor

Thx a lot, but has someone already automated scripts for the test users and would like to post here?