1753765 Members
5661 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Best Terminal Emulation for HP-UX?

rightbrain
Advisor

Best Terminal Emulation for HP-UX?

We use Exceed currently with RLogin and I can't get the scroll bar to show. Ideally, I would like to script some items like that to be available on each login.

1) Scrollbar
2) I'd like to see the commands I type get output to a file by date that I could reference later.

Anything else that might be useful at each login might be nice as well.
give my right brain some warning will ya?
26 REPLIES 26
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Re: Best Terminal Emulation for HP-UX?

PuTTY has all you are looking for except the timestamped, every command log file. ( goo luck finding that one ).

AND, it is FREE.

rightbrain
Advisor

Putty does not appear to allow me to script my login all the way. What I generally do is:
Login under my username and su to root. Exceed does this for me and puts me there with a single click. It also wraps the text for me so that things on the screen are readable (Xwindows feature) but without the scroll bar. Will Putty do this too? If so how?
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

>>Putty does not appear to allow me to script my login all the way. What I generally do is:
Login under my username and su to root. Exceed does this for me and puts me there with a single click. It also wraps the text for me so that things on the screen are readable (Xwindows feature) but without the scroll bar. Will Putty do this too? If so how?

Sounds like Exceed is what you want. Stick with it ...why ask the question then ?

rightbrain
Advisor

exceed isn't giving me the scrollbar and then of'course, I'd like to have some sort of session logging.
Andres_13
Respected Contributor

Try xshell (http://www.netsarang.com/products/xsh_detail.html) which of course isn't free. I think it will be enough for you.

Also consider to assign points (you have assigned points to 0 of 5 responses to your questions).

Regards!
Aaron Johnson_3

Well if you're using exceed I assume you're executing an xterm. In that case you want to add "-sb" to the command line for xterm. i.e. "xterm -sb -sl 400" should do the trick (-sl 400 is 400 lines of scrollback)

I don't believe you'll get any other session logging other than your .sh_history with xterm.

I prefer putty which will let you name your log file with a time stamp and log your entire session. You can use ssh keys to automatically log you in as yourself or root if you really want.

rightbrain
Advisor

I like the Putty tool as well if I can get it to do what I want. I need some hand-holding with it though. Can you outline how I can do the following?

1) auto-login as self with su to root
2) add scrollbar
3) save session with time date stamp

the options only appear to take care of number three which I am having trouble with. It creates the log but won't ask me for the name despite the selection. I thought I had the latest version too. Is there an enhanced putty out there. I want a single click icon for each server that takes care of it all. Thanks for responding.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

If you are only using a terminal interface (no real need for Xwindows) then 'real terminal emulators are a much better choice. Xwindows places a real strain on your local PC just to emulate Xwindows and your terminal windows are 'stolen' from the server. In other words, you are running an xterm (dtterm or hpterm) program on the HP-UX box and sending all the font and colors and labels across the network to be interpreted and then displayed by your PC. Exceed is providing a small assist in the form of rlogin, but as you may have read elsewhere, rlogin (rcp, rexec or remote shell) are very big security risks.

A real terminal emulator runs on the PC and uses ssh (or telnet). No Xwindows, no network load, no issues with font compatibilities, difficult color selections, cut-n-paste problems, etc. By far, WRQ's Reflection for HP is the best terminal emulator for HP-UX. But it is pricey. Note that there are 4 model of Reflection: HP, Unix, Web and Xwindows. The HP version gives you all the features of HP smart terminals (ideal for menu tools such as swinstall, sam and glance) and a very powerful macro language for auto-logins, automated command scripting, bascially a complete replacement for expect as a way to run many tasks with decision points. And unlike Xwindows, the font is instantly scalable so you can magnify the window very quickly. And the character space (columns and lines) have no practical limits (I run 80, 132, 154, 176 and 240 columns) depending on what I'm looking at. And plenty of color schemes -- I have more than 20 window colors, each for a different server. The scroll bar covers several thousand lines (also configurable).

The best HP emulator for free is QCTerm which now supports ssh as well as telnet. Since auto-login and a scroll bar are standard, it is the ideal choice for a budget. It handles HP menus as well as Reflection. Personally, I would disable rlogin/rcp/rexec/remsh and telnet completely due to the security risks and use ssh instead. The advantage is that auto-login is quite simple using a public key.

Another priced product is SecureCRT which offers a lot of features but limited to dumb terminal VT emulation (just like xterm and dtterm).

Note that logging is standard with all the listed emulators (except xterm, etc).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
rightbrain
Advisor

Thanks for the suggestion of QTerm.

1) Notice that the text does not wrap like it should. I'm using HP3440s and HP-UX v11.11. I've chosen SSH2.

2) While this looks more promising and has a scrollbar, I still need to automate a regular login with SU to root so that I can quickly click the icon for a particular machine and get in quickly. Is there any way to automate that for a single click operation?