3637 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Best practices with Oracle and root access

Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Ken,

That is not the subject of this thread but, the SCN recovery would have only give me 100 minutes of data more (a few material transactions and a dozen of documents) since the corruption happened at 10H40 AM. But I'm considering the SCN (archivelog mode) recovery for other reasons...

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Rory R Hammond
Trusted Contributor

The real issue for financial systems is SOX Segregation of Duties.

We would fail SOX if the ORACLE DBA had Root privileges. OR if the Superuser had DBA privileges.

Rory
There are a 100 ways to do things and 97 of them are right
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Geoff,

It's a good thing that you spelled out that you weren't interested in opinions!!

;^)

Pete

(N/A, please)

Pete
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

with Oracle 10g and ASM/OMF, you don't need any special privileges for the DBA.

DBAs no longer need to manage files and drives individually. Instead, disk groups can be created consisting of disks and their assigned files.

Essentialy, the combination of OMF and ASM eliminates the need for a DBA to specify the file name and location for the physical database files when creating a new database, as well as in other database operations - you simply identify the destination disk group, and oracle takes care of the rest. ASM can also be extended to support other administrative procedurees, including backup/recovery and disk management.

I find the diskgroup concept very interesting such that diskgroup is like a logical volume, like a filesystem but only for database files.

It is said that "ASM is for DBA's for managing database data what Filesystems are for SA's for managing disk"

hope this helps!

kind regards
yogeeraj

No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi again,

see also metalink Note:265633.1
Subject: ASM Technical Best Practices

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Though not quite what I was looking for, I did find this that I'd like to share "Best Practices for Oracle on HPUX":

http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/files/unprotected/database/HP3KOracle.ppt

Also, thanks for all the answers so far.

Rgds...Geoff

Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

yogeeraj - I checked out that doc - has nothing to do with the root access :(

Why is ASM important? ASM not only empowers the DBA to lower the cost of storage management, but also provides high performance capabilities and utilization.
ASM is a management tool specifically built to simplify the job of the DBA. It provides a simple storage management interface across all server and storage platforms. ASM provides the DBA flexibility to manage a dynamic database environment with increased efficiency. This feature is a key aspect of Grid Computing.

Thanks just the same - as I talked to one of our other DBA's - and they will be going down the ASM road in the near future...

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.