1748128 Members
4003 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Bios Problem?

Bios Problem?

The main computer I use has been acting up lately. It began to shut itself down at will. When I restarted it in safe mode I found that it was getting hung up on the driver amdagp.sys. After much research I decided to try and disable the device using this driver and delete the driver itself. This did not do much to the computer as it still works but I cannot keep the computer on for more than an hour, if I am lucky. I know found that the system gets hung up on the driver mup.sys and cannot figure out what that driver is for. I feel like I should also mention that my computer tends to make a clicking almost 'clip-clop' sound. I have done research and found that this could be one of any problems. My bios could be outdated or it could be that the bios does not support my large 80 gig harddrive. It could also be my power supply is too weak, I have a bad pci card, or that i need to jump my CMOS. If anyone knows which one of these is the problem, or even has another idea as to what the problem could be I would greatly appreciate it.
4 REPLIES 4
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: Bios Problem?

It sounds like your hard disk drive might be failing. You may also have a temperature/airflow problem. Check all the fans and check all the air path (usually from the bottom front of the case through the case and power supply and out).

Please post the model of your system so we can direct you to a BIOS upgrade if one exists.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger

I've already done a check for my harddrive and have had the manufacturer of it run tests and they tell me it is perfectly normal. The system I am running however is an XP789, the bios I currently have on it is: PTLTD - 6040000 PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0.G, 03/27/00.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

There is no newer BIOS on HP's website for your system.

You didn't mention if fans/airflow were OK. It's also possible that your power supply is going bad. The best way to test that is with a multimeter or simply by replacing it.

Here's a link to your system specifications:
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?reg=&plc=&lc=en&cc=us&prodId=hppavilion25724&docName=bph06167&cat=prodinfo#P6_219

Here's a link to AMD drivers for your system:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_2336,00.html

Hope something here helps.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger

I just checked the airflow and everything seemed to be ok in that department. I will go ahead and try to check the power supply or replace it. Thanks for the advice.