Operating System - Microsoft
1748170 Members
4181 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Boot Problem with XB2000 Expansion Base (Docking Station) and Compaq R3070US

Elroy
Occasional Contributor

Boot Problem with XB2000 Expansion Base (Docking Station) and Compaq R3070US

Hi folks,
First-time poster here.
Got a problem with an xb2000 expansion base and a compaq R3070US.

When the laptop is plugged into the xb2000 base, it won't boot up. The fans and drive sound like they power up, but the laptop just sits there indefinitely with a black screen (doesn't even flash the screen on power up, no blinking cursor, nothing ..... just the sounds of the fans).

After powering down (holding the power button for 5 seconds), and removing the laptop from the dock (unplugging the side connector), the laptop then powers-up (on battery) and displays a "failed boot" message. After hitting F1 to get past that, the laptop will boot up. It will continue to work if it is then plugged into the expansion base while running (I know, not a good practice, but it seems to work). Shuts down normally when asked to when plugged into the expansion base.

I am running XP with SP3. Any ideas why the laptop won't boot in the expansion base?

Oh yeah, during the "infinite wait", the built-in USB sd card ram-drive on the R3070 flashes on and off about once a second.

Also plugged into the XB2000 is a logitech USB webcam and the IR receiver for the wireless mouse and keyboard.

Thanks folks, E.
2 REPLIES 2
Bryan Surrett

Re: Boot Problem with XB2000 Expansion Base (Docking Station) and Compaq R3070US

My xb2000 just started exhibiting similar problems. If the power cord is plugged into the base--like it is designed--the laptop will not power up but display a black screen. If I plug the power cable into the laptops then everything powers up just fine.

SP3 was recently installed--is that the problem?

OR, the batteries for the zd80000 have a horrible life expectancy and my second one is dead after 2 years--laptop claims 59% charged and charging, but if you unplug the power everything shuts down immediately. Lousy battery. Is that the problem?
Elroy
Occasional Contributor

Hi Bryan,
Thanks for your post. My batteries are ok, and you are right, the laptop boots ok when my power brick is plugged in directly to the laptop. And yes, SP3 was just installed.

I have traced my problem to a Logitech USB camera. I need to umplug the camera when rebooting, and all seems well.

Cheers, E.