1752273 Members
4553 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Boot from external HDD

vikashSingh
Occasional Advisor

Boot from external HDD

Hi, I have a HP proliant dl380G7. I want to boot it from an external HDD but  even  though I have changes the setting bios setting and change the boot order it eventually loaded the internal HDD operating system. Can you guys please help me how to boot it from external HDD?? I am using ubuntu 16.04

12 REPLIES 12
B0ris
Frequent Advisor

What is the type of your "external HDD" ? Is it a USB disk, what is the size of the disk and boot partition ? You can also try to reboot the server and press F11 - Boot Menu Prompt, then select your extrenal HDD, if you see one in the selection menu.

vikashSingh
Occasional Advisor

It's a 1Tb WD HD. Yes it's a USB disk. I haven't declared boot partition
just allocated space to swap.
vikashSingh
Occasional Advisor

I have also declared the boot size while installing the ubuntu 16.04 but nothing happened. I tried pressing F11 but it ain't loading the ubuntu from external HDD

Kashyap02
HPE Pro

is the HDD detected in the BIOS?

Have you made the HDD as bootable?

are you able to set the boot order to the HDD in BIOS?

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

vikashSingh
Occasional Advisor

While booting it detects but doesn't load. Does dl380 g7 supports UEFI??I tried changing the boot order but nothing happens. Also after loading from internal HDD the external HDD is divided into 3 partitions(root, home and boot) should this happen? Or there should be only one drive and inside that everything??

Kashyap02
HPE Pro

No DL380 G7 do not support UEFI. I would recommend you to try below things. 

use the HPE USB key utility to make the external HDD or any USB stick bootable. Use the ubuntu image for this. 

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_357c87ee9b054ad7a631d9eaba

then set the USB stick as first boot / one time boot and try installing. 

Other option is to mount the OS image from the ILO and install the OS. 

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@vikashSingh wrote:

While booting it detects but doesn't load. Does dl380 g7 supports UEFI??I tried changing the boot order but nothing happens. Also after loading from internal HDD the external HDD is divided into 3 partitions(root, home and boot) should this happen? Or there should be only one drive and inside that everything??

So how are you creating this image on the USB stick?  Are you doing a standard installation, or is this a 'live' image put on the stick using rufus or similar?  Is the image  setup as an MBR bootable device?  the G7 server isn't UEFI

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
vikashSingh
Occasional Advisor

Using RUFUS I am creating bootable pendrive and from there I am installing ubuntu on external hard disk. Yes the image (bootbale pen drive) setup is in MBR format. Is it possible to load OS from external hard disk drive?

vikashSingh
Occasional Advisor

I've created the bootable ubuntu in a pendrive and intalled it in an external hard disk drive. Now I want to laod OS from external hard disk drive but while loading OS it doesn't load from external hard disk drive, it check for external hard disk and boots  fromthe internal hard disk drive.