Operating System - HP-UX
1748114 Members
3324 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Boot sequence on HP9000/715

Xavier S

Boot sequence on HP9000/715

Hello, I hope this is the appropriate forum. We have one (already quite old) HP9000/715 installed in HP9.05. I would like to upgrade the system (First in 10.20, for compatibility with other programs)

Alas, the boot sequence directly selects the /hp-ux on / directory and don't stop even with intense pressing. The new system is on a SCSI mounted CD-ROM, which is well recognized ulteriously.

Is there an other interruption sequence? I tried with English US and German keyboard. I remembered it worked before with English US

Thanks for any help
Regards
Xav
Veni, vidi, vici
4 REPLIES 4
Philip P. Hartl
Valued Contributor

Re: Boot sequence on HP9000/715

I have a 715/100 and successfully break the boot sequence by repeatedly pressing the esc key starting right after power on until the screen illuminates. This works consistantly and should not be dependent on the os level, since this is pre-boot. Note however I repeatedly press esc not press and hold esc.
Don't take life so seriously; nobody gets out alive.
Vic Parker
Frequent Advisor

You must break the boot sequence before it starts, not after. Shortly after the self test, the system will give you a opportunity to stop it from booting its primary/default boot disk. This is when you should strike your ESC key, have the system search for bootable devices and your SCSI CDROM drive should show up during this search along witht the default boot disk. Boot from your install CD and you are on your way to only being two operating systems revisions behind instead of three, if you are going to load 10.20 ;-)

Cheers,

Vic
code your own, or follow the rules
Shahul
Esteemed Contributor

HI

See..Just pressing Esc key will not help U. U will have to press and hold Esc key. This U will have to do while starting itself. If it is not at all coming check up ur Esc key.

As a last option U can do is remove the power connector of primary bootable device and then start. It will come to main menu. Then make changes and connect the device and reboot.

Best of luck

Shahul
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hello Xav,

two points:
first, during selftest the screen is blank.
When the graphics card is initialized it does
take quite a long time to "wake up" - but you
will hear a sound before (and see the status
LED turn green). Now you have to start to
press or hold down the "ESC" key.

second, it could be that your boot process is
password protected. The easiest way to clear
this is to connect another device with the
same SCSI-Id as your bootdisk has concurrently.
Then try to boot - it cannot (but then the
protection is gone ;-). If you do not already
see the "boot_admin" mode, go back to "first".

HTH,
Wodisch