Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bottleneck

Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

Bottleneck

How can I find which disk has bottleneck..?
My IT/O gives this error. I tried with Glance. But I could not find which perticular disk/s give this bottleneck error. and how to resolve this.

I'm getting this error on a T and N box running HPUX 10.20 and 11.00 respectively. T is a Oracle Application server and N is Database server
Good Luck..
5 REPLIES
Jim Turner
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bottleneck

Uday,

If you've got Glance, this will be a lead pipe cinch. Just start Glance and hit "u" (no quotes) to go to the "IO By Disk" screen. I've attached a sample output from one of my machines.

All The Best,
Jim

-----
Was this information helpful? If so, please like and give kudos. Thanks!
Pedro Sousa
Honored Contributor

Hi Uday,
Jim gave you a good hint, but you can use another tool called 'sar' by issuing:
sar -d
where n specifies the number of intervals and t specifies the time of each interval in seconds.
for example:
sar -d 5 10
this will give you the disks activity in 10 intervals of 5 seconds (i.e. 50 seconds of activity).

good luck.
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Hi Uday

Do a sar -d 2 10 and pipe the output in a file , it will record averages for the devices adn give you the results.

Manoj Srivastava
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

Hello,
I myself tried all the 'sar' options before I came to you. How can I find from sar -d about the disk bottleneck..?

Good Luck..
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Hi Uday

So you want to intrepret the data from sar -d

, check for the high no. of averages in the fields %busy , avque ,avwait , these are the fields which would definatley give you the cluse , in case the period is small then run it for a long time.

Also could you download sarcheck from www.sarcheck.com , this owuld help you to incase of analysing sar out put .

You can also install glance . Or attach the output for sar -d 2 10 to this forum so that we can help you.

Manoj Srivastava