Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken DSDT in HP Pavilion a305w

Brad Hermanson
Occasional Visitor

Broken DSDT in HP Pavilion a305w

Hello,

I am running Gentoo Linux on an HP Pavilion a305w desktop computer. The CPU fan, according to the BIOS, runs at around, 4100rpms, which is very noisy, and when I boot into Windows XP or the Windows Restore Option (by pressing F10) the CPU fan slows down, and I estimate the fan then spins at around 2000rpms, which is a lot quieter. Although in Linux, this doesn't seem to be the case. From what I've researched I believe this is the DSDT not complying to the ACPI standard, since when I extracted the DSDT, and decompiled it, then recompiled, I got the error:
dsdt.dsl 64: If (\FCEN)
Error 1037 - ^ parse error, unexpected PARSEOP_IF
If I open this file, and then remove If (\FCEN) { # Contents between brackets } then it compiles cleanly, but then I am unable to use it, even though I have followed what instructions from a few resource web sites, have instructed to do. I am looking for your opinion, and knowledge, of what I should do. I would really appreciate the help I would receive with this. Of course, my last resort would be to by a quieter CPU fan, but then other things ACPI-related would not work, still, such as the temperature reading, which displays:
temperature: -270 C
Which obviously is not possible. Thank you for your time and continue the great quality of products being produced from HP.

Note: I have included the source code for the DSDT from the HP Pavilion a305w, named 'dsdt.dsl'.

Brad Hermanson