1748108 Members
4987 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Burning PHLAK Disk

Jeff Blair
Frequent Advisor

Burning PHLAK Disk

Real new to this. As I type I am Burning a PHLAK Disk. I have a 4220T Armada With 96 meg of ram. I have real issues with Win98. I was running Win2K Pro and with the lack of ram it worked ok. It just ate up all of my HD space limited to 6gigs. Win2K to up 3gigs right off the bat so Went back to Win98 and I feel that it is to insecure and unstable. So since I have never used Linux. I have heard of a disk that can be mad called PHLAK. And have the file, Just don't know how to turn the file into a bootable disk. And how well does it work with plug and play items? I have a very limited experience with Operating Systems.
Jeff
7 REPLIES 7
Ross Minkov
Esteemed Contributor

Jeff,

If you are new to Linux don't start with a distribution like PHLAK (http://www.phlak.org/). Pick Fedora Core or something else mainstream instead.

> Just don't know how to turn the file into a bootable disk.

burn it on a CD

> And how well does it work with plug and play items?

I never used PHLAK, but Linux supports plug and play if that's what you were asking.

HTH,
Ross
BR664511
Advisor

I have used Knoppix which is Linux on a CD which loads into RAM & doesnt need any HDD space. It will run on your 98MB and it finds most hardware and installs drivers (I have not found any unknown devices yet), it even found & configured my Broadband without any intervention from me.
The file (700Mb) can be downloaded from www.knoppix.net to be burnt onto a CD (or details of how to obtain a CD) which will then boot without any fuss.

Hope this helps.
Barry
Johannes Krackowizer_1
Valued Contributor

Hi Jeff,

if your are a newbie to linux i would try knoppix (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/). it's a distro on one cd. yust download the iso image burn it, with for example nero, and boot from the cd. you don't need to install it on your harddrive so your computer is not touched. knoppix should be able to detect your hardware. if you tested knoppix and you want to use linux permanently you can install knoppix onto your computer or download a other distro like fedora (http://fedora.redhat.com) that includes much more software then knoppix.

best regards,

johannes
"First off, I'd suggest printing out a copy of the GNU coding standards, and NOT read it. Burn them, it's a great symbolic gesture." (Linus Torvalds)
Jeff Blair
Frequent Advisor

Johannes & Barry
I hope I have better luck than I did with the PHLAK disk.
I never did get that to work. I use Roxio as my burner program. I'm not real sure that I'm doing that correctly. I added it to my project and just bruned it. With no joy.
I have heard a lot about how it is better than Windows. Just have to get use to it. Well sounds like I should have already been playing with it and maybe I would not have been caught like this. And when I comes to not any Fuss, never quite goes that way for me. But I'll give it a Go. LOL. So is Linux the OS that you all use as your Stand Alone O/S? And give me a feel as to how it works in the real world.
My other problem is that the CD ROM reader I uses for 4220T does not read R/W/R Cds that I burn. Can I save it on my H/D and run it from there?
Thanks Jeff

Johannes Krackowizer_1
Valued Contributor

hi Jeff,

i don't know how your burning software works exactly but normaly you have to say burn cd image. if you add the iso image to a normal project it burn's a cd with one file on it but the iso image is a whole cd covered into one file. it's like a zip file you can not start the zip file but you can start the files inside the zip. so burn a cd image and then the cd contains more files.

i'm sorry but you can not start from cd image when it is only on your harddrive. you have to burn it onto cd. the only way to use the cd image without burning is to install vmware or virtual pc (you have to pay for both programs) and then you can run linux as a virutal os inside your windows box without burning it.

best regards,

johannes
"First off, I'd suggest printing out a copy of the GNU coding standards, and NOT read it. Burn them, it's a great symbolic gesture." (Linus Torvalds)
Jeff Blair
Frequent Advisor

Johannes
Thank you for the help. After reading your post and doing a little looking in my burner program I did see to burn from an ISO. That then broke it into different files and works great. Just not sure what all you can do with it and it makes me want to explorer more of the Linux O/S .
Can you run Linux and not have to use Windows? I suppose that there is a learning curve but after that is it easy to operate. I see that to shut down PHLAK that you have to type Halt. Are these other version of Linux the same way?
Well guess I shale just down load and see. Thanks again.
Jeff
Johannes Krackowizer_1
Valued Contributor

hi jeff,

sorry for my late reply but i was on holidays for two weeks.

the linux distros are very similar the simple commands are the same like halt, reboot, ls, ps, grep, vi, ed, ... but every distro has there own configuration tools for the deamons like named (dns), samba (smb fileshares), inetd (telnet, ftp, finger, pop3, ...). but if you configure the deamons directly in their configfiles the syntax is the same and their location should be similar (look at /etc or /etc's subdirectorys)

best regards,

johannes