General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C function that gives the device class depending on the major number of the device file

SOLVED
Go to solution
Navecric
Occasional Advisor

C function that gives the device class depending on the major number of the device file

Hi all,

Is there any C function/macro in HPUX that gives us the device file class depending on its major number.

lsdev gives us the major number and its corresponding device class. But, I'm looking for a C function that does the same rather than manipulating lsdev output string in my program.

Can some one please help me on this

Thanks,
Naveen

4 REPLIES
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: C function that gives the device class depending on the major number of the device file

Hi Naveen:

Since 'lsdev' can do the heavy-lifting and "understands" driver information, I don't see anything wrong with using a 'popen()' library call to collect the information to parse. Why re-invent a wheel?

Regards!

...JRF...

Re: C function that gives the device class depending on the major number of the device file

Have you looked into any of the 11.31 libIO(3) functions?
Solution

>ME: Have you looked into any of the 11.31 libIO(3) functions?

It looks like you were successful, see your previous thread:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1429017
Navecric
Occasional Advisor

Hi Dennis,

Sorry missed your reply. Yeah i was able to use libIO APIs to get the information.

Thanks for the suggestion