1748008 Members
4815 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CD-ROM drive

Carol L. Williams

CD-ROM drive

I was troubleshooting a Diablo II game disk and when I rebooted, I could no longer get my HP Pavilion 6535 to recognize my CD-ROM drive. It is not listed under device drivers anymore, and I cannot have it recognized using the add New Hardware Wizard. It is as if I have never had, nor could ever have a CD-ROM drive. I have application and system recovery disks, but they cannot be played by this system right now. Is there anyway I can get system recovery files in a floppy disk? Does anyone have any idea of how to restart my CD-ROM drive?
I wish my computer stopped giving me 15-minute heartattacks...
2 REPLIES 2
Travis R. Campbell
Occasional Contributor

If you go into your control panel, then to the "Add/Remove Programs" applet. In here, click on the "Startup Disk" It will then prompt you to enter a floppy to make a bootable floppy, with CDrom drivers. After the disk is made, try booting the system using the floppy, and then access the CDROM. This will at least give you an idea as to the actual problem. If the cdrom works from the bootdisk then you may have a conflict in windows, If it does not work, the Device itself may not be functioning.
Carol L. Williams

Already tried that Mr. Campbell. I can't make a new boot disk since you have to use the Windows 98 CD to begin it, but I had one from 3 months ago. CD still dead. The LCD light works when you reboot though. I take it I'll have to try another driver.
I wish my computer stopped giving me 15-minute heartattacks...