Operating System - Linux
1752589 Members
4304 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

CD not found on Linux Installation

Lior_2

CD not found on Linux Installation

I have Compaq Presario 900. when i tried to install Suse 7.x or Redhat it boots from the CD but then it says that it can't find the CD in the CDROM. the CDROM drive does'nt response and doesn't open. What should I do?
1 REPLY 1
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Re: CD not found on Linux Installation

Mmm... I had this kind of strange issue when having a CDRom on master select along with a HD on slave select, or both on cable select but on the same IDE (check the jumpers on yours). When installing Redhat 7.3 and 8.0, it doesn't occur.
If you still wish to stay on Rh 7.1 or Suse, you can pass over this problem with a boot diskette !
Just get from ftp.redhat.com on your distribution directory (should be ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-7.1-en/os/i386/ for you), get from dossutils directory rawrite if you make your boot diskette from DOS, and get from images directory boot.img, and maybe oldcdrom.img just in case.
In MS DOS, use rawrite (enter), then source which'll be boot.img, destination a:.
From Linux box, use dd if=boot.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k. You have a boot diskette which should work and fix your prob. Try oldcdrom.img instead if your cd rom drive isn't set with boot.img.
The easiest still being to change to RH 8.0 !
You can lean only on what resists you...