6340 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CDE on hpux 11.11... the curious window

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joetta Mark

CDE on hpux 11.11... the curious window

I have an old 715/100 workstation as my desktop running hpux 11.11. I run CDE with 6 environments where I have windows telnetted into the various servers/databases I support. The servers are all hpux but some are 11.0, 11.11, 11.23, etc. Today for the first time I can ever recall, I started a process in a single window in environment 1, then went to environment 2 and that window followed me there... and went to environment 3 and the window was there... and so on through all the environments. It was like I had a static window and it was the focus window in each environment I went into. I have been working on various UNIX systems since 1986 and I have never seen this happen before. Any thoughts? The window is still doing this. I have had that telnet window open since November, so it was not a new login. Also, the process I initiated completed in about 8 minutes, but now that window just follows me everywhere. If it were Halloween, I would feel better about ghosts in the system. Thanks for any thoughts or ideas which might help explain the phenomenon.
7 REPLIES 7
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: CDE on hpux 11.11... the curious window

It's been a while since I've done much with CDE, but I seem to vaguely recall that there was a way to make a window appear within ALL CDE workspaces.

Are there any options if you right click on the title bar of the Window?
Joetta Mark

Thank you. You would have thought that in my 20+ years of doing this that I would have taken the time to right click on the title bar... but I have never selected the options to "occupy workspace..." or "occupy all workspaces". I guess I'm never too old to learn. Mystery solved. Thank you so much. I would feel really stupid, but I called a 20+ year SysAdmin before submitting this and he didn't have any ideas either.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

There's a minus sign in the upper left corner of the window. Click it, then click "Occupy Workspace", then indicate which workspace you want the window to be in. I'm thinking that somehow the "Occupy All Workspaces" option got selected.

Pete

Pete
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Well, duh! After all my years of working with HP-UX, I didn't know right clicking the title bar would have the same effect as clicking the little minus sign. Makes my comment pretty worthless.

Oh well, time to go home and cry in my beer.

Pete

Pete
Joetta Mark

thanks to both of you for taking the time to respond.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> Well, duh! [...]

If it's any consolation, I've used it on
various systems since it was HP-VUE, and I
doubt that I ever used mouse-3 on a title bar
until today (on an Alpha running VMS with the
"New Desktop").
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

> If it's any consolation . . .

Thanks, Steven. Misery loves company. And the beer, by the way, was delicious - even with the added salt!

Pete

Pete