108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CIFS share and max sub directory limit reached

SOLVED
Go to solution
Darren Etheridge_2
Super Advisor

CIFS share and max sub directory limit reached

We are running 11.23 with Online JFS. We have a CIFS share with millions of images and have reached the 32766 sub-directory limit. Is there a fix for this? If so, where is it? I've looked in the kernel parameters, but can't see it. If there is a fix, and I ever have to move this directory (with thousands of subdirectories and millions of files) to another OS, will this pose a problem on another OS.. say Linux? or Windows 2008?

Thank you!!!
2 REPLIES 2
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi Darren:

You can double the limit but that's as far as you can go.

# kctune -s vx_maxlink=65534

The default value is 32767 with a maxium value of 65534.

That said, having a filesystem with "millions of files" and such a very large number of directories is certainly not going to yield optimal performance. Databases are better suited for such orders of magnitude.

Regards!

...JRF...
Darren Etheridge_2
Super Advisor

Thank you!!. we are moving all the files out of an Oracle database (BLOBS) to flat files and migrating the data (indexes) to SQL. So the image will be indexed by SQL. But thank you, I'll have to figure out another way to export the files to a differential directory structure (ie after 32000 directories- create another main directory (ie. AR-FILES1) and create the remaining subs under there.

Darren