Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COMPAQ PRESARIO 1516US RedHat Installation

Ahmed_17
Occasional Visitor

COMPAQ PRESARIO 1516US RedHat Installation

I would like an answer from someone who has installed RedHat 8.0 on a Compaq Presario 1516US laptop...

while enlessly trying, reformating, and creating partitions, i have not yet been able to get passed a freeze when the installation is initially checking for the:

Partition Check:
hda:

the check reaches this point and the cursor will blink at the hda check for eternity if you leave it on that long.

At first i thought it had something to do with the NTFS formatting of the drive, so i tried FAT32 on the boot partition on C:/ w/no avail.........

im using PartitionMagic 7.0 Pro to create a 10G partition and a 500Mb swap

please help!!!!
"when all else fails; get sleep."
1 REPLY
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

Re: COMPAQ PRESARIO 1516US RedHat Installation

I suspect this means Red Hat is having trouble correctly identifying your IDE. Many laptop owners find they have to use a kernel parameter idebus=50 or idebus=66 to specify their IDE bus controller speed. Sometimes this is only necessary for the installation, but usually it's necessary for any Linux boot. You might try starting your installation by entering:

linux idebus=50

If this doesn't fix the problem, you could try the more radical variation:

linux nodma

Good luck!

Bruce