Operating System - HP-UX
1752752 Members
4944 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can I install oracle8i(8.1.7) for HP9000 on Itanium based server(HP Integrity Server)?

Ian lee
Advisor

Can I install oracle8i(8.1.7) for HP9000 on Itanium based server(HP Integrity Server)?

I have some old HP9000 Server installed oracle8i(8.1.5 and 8.1.7),and now I want to buy new servers to replace these old things,HP9000 Server or HP Integrity Server?Can I install oracle8i(8.1.7) for HPUX on Itanium based server(HP Integrity Server)?

thanks.
Ian lee
5 REPLIES 5
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: Can I install oracle8i(8.1.7) for HP9000 on Itanium based server(HP Integrity Server)?

Whether you can install Oracle 8i or not is not nearly as important as whether it will function at all. 8i is not supported on the new hardware and 64 bit OS so you would have to rent the machines you are looking at, install 8i and then load your databases and thoroughly test everything including backup and restore. You may need 2-3 weeks to accomplish all this and at any point along the way, a compatibility problem will terminate the investigation.

I would not waste all that time and money on a new server without upgrading the database as well as the applications.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Ian lee
Advisor

Hi.
These servers is just database server,no other applications on them,my applications is on PCs,oracle8i is good enogh to them,but the hardware is to old and poor performance,I just wanna some newer hardware to replace them.these old servers is HP9000 D380,64bit(hpux 11.0),and oracle8i for hpux 64bit.

thanks
Ian lee
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> old servers is HP9000 D380,64bit(hpux 11.0),and oracle8i for hpux 64bit.

OK. The D380 is a great machine but you're right, it will be limited in performance. It sounds like you don't have a lot of money for a new server so I would look at the rp2400 series (rp2405, rp2470, etc). You can find an rp2470 with 2 processors and 4GB of RAM plus 2 disks up to 36GB each, all for less than $4000 USD. A newer box might be the rp3410 or rp3440. The rp2400 will be easily 3-5x faster than the D380, while the rp3440 with 4 processors and 4GB of RAM will be 10-15x faster.

I believe Oracle 8i will only run on PA-RISC servers so the rx-series (Itanium) won't be an option.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Ian lee
Advisor

Thanks to Bill Hassell
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Ian Lee,

in case, you decide new hardware try to size it accordingly. It would be an opportunity to upgrade to the latest version of Oracle. Depending on the complexity of your application, this can be as easy as installing Oracle 8i on the same new server.

You should also consider support and possible more server upgrade in the future.

good luck!

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)