5151 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can't boot after linux install on HP Proliant DL 380 G4

SOLVED
Go to solution
David Lindner

Can't boot after linux install on HP Proliant DL 380 G4

I'm no expert at this, so I hope I've just missed something obvious...

I can't boot the server after instaling Ubuntu 8 on a HP Proliant DL 380 G4. I figure it has to do with some pree-boot settings. The server finds the raid, does a number of checks etc. and then goes to search for DHCP. This fails and then a message "PXE-E53 - No boot filename received" is displayed...

There is a DHCP server in the network, but I don't know it's configuration if that is an issue here...

Please help a novice!
8 REPLIES 8
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor
Solution

if you hav DHCP server in your network than you must resolve it by your OS not system PXE.

Disable the PXE while startup and then set the DHCP option from OS.
a warrior never quits
David Lindner

Before the system looks for DHCP I can enter "MBA Configuration Menu" where I can see that Boot Protocol is set to "Preboot Execution Environment (PXE)", but there is no other option I can choose. The utility tells me "This option is not selecteble", if I try to change this...

Any ideas?
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

check in BIOS. there is a option for this.
a warrior never quits
David Lindner

I can't seem to find it anywhere in any of the menus before server get stuck on looking for DHCP. Where in BIOS can I find this?
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Hi David,

Did the install go fine, or did it come up with any errors? This normally happens when operating system is not found on C: (logical drive). During POST the server checks for each of the devices (listed in boot order) for boot files. If it can't find any, it moves on to the next device in the list. Since your network card (most possibly) is the last in the boot order, the server stops there, trying to PXE boot.

The PXE boot is a feature of the network controller. You need to press F9 after the POST completes and get into the ROM-Based Setup Utility (RBSU). Once in, select Standard Boot Order (IPL). Disable the Network controller there (as you need to boot from the hard drive & not from the network).

While you are there, check to make sure that the hard drive (on which Ubuntu is installed) is listed in this list.

If all else fails, can you try a different version of Linux (Suse/Redhat) as they are officially supported? As there could be many issues with Ubuntu loading the correct drivers for the controller / hard drives.
David Lindner

I believe you're spot on. For some reason it does not recognize that it should boot form the linux-drive. I didn't have any error messages at the install, and I've tried HP severs with Ubuntu before with no problems...

I think I will try to reinstal GRUB and se if that solves the problem.
David Lindner

The server works fine after I have reinstalled GRUB. Thank you for your help!
bingoarunprasat
Advisor

This error occurs when you try to install linux variants in  Proliant wtih storage arrays like EVA and 3PAR  .

Here is the fix

In /etc/grub.conf (a link to /boot/grub/grub.conf) uncomment the
line that looks like this:

boot=/dev/cciss/c0d0

* Make sure /boot/grub/device.map is setup right and looks like this:

(fd0)     /dev/fd0
        (hd0)     /dev/cciss/c0d0

* Run grub like this:

/sbin/grub --batch --device-map=/boot/grub/device.map
        --config-file=/boot/grub/grub.conf --no-floppy
   grub> root (hd0,0)
   grub> setup (hd0)