7182 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can we use NAS inplace of SAN?

Rajesh Karelia
Frequent Advisor

Can we use NAS inplace of SAN?

Hello,

Our production system has an rx7620 based Itanium cluster with EVA for storage (SAN).

We need to have one Test system but the budget is limited. Can we use NAS in place of SAN in test environment to fit into the budget.
Will there be any dependency/issue/risk of using NAS instead of SAN?

Many thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Can we use NAS inplace of SAN?

hi,

There should not be any significant problem using NAS. Although, if you using the NAS for Oracle datafile storage, you should first verify its compatibility.

Test it in any cases.

good luck

yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

The NAS devices I've seen all (EMC Clariions) use NFS mounts. Dead simple installation...

Administration isn't bad, but you need to think thru where things are stored on the NAS to avoid permissions issues

one thing to watch with them is to be sure that the NAS clock stays sync'd with the clock on the test system. all kinds of bizarre behaviour w/ "make" and such can result.

I've not compared prices, so I don't know how much this solution would save you
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

Hi Rajesh

Take a look in this link and figure out your plan

http://www.nas-san.com/differ.html
a warrior never quits
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

If performance is not a concern and if there is no concern why does something work/perform here and not there then go for it.

There is a reason why there are many many different types of products out there and not just one solution. No one solution fits all situations.

Good luck.